sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 23, 2020 1:52 pm  #1

NT 1010 & GNR 640 AWOL during Ford conference on Math teaching

Important changes to Ontario’s math curriculum announced this afternoon by Premier Ford. What are 1010 and 640
doing? They are asleep at the wheel.  Evan Solomon is discussing tearing down statues in the U.S, while Alan Carter
is dealing with LTC homes.  I am very interested in this issue and am very concerned that my grandkids do not possess simple math skills. The province has finally decided to return to teaching basic math skills & tables. I feel that this is  important enough to warrant live coverage.and definitely more important to Ontarians than the statue issue
south of the border.  Thankfully, 680 news covered it live.  I did not check CBC radio.

June 23, 2020 1:58 pm  #2

Re: NT 1010 & GNR 640 AWOL during Ford conference on Math teaching

RB covered it as a news story, but you're right - for the first time in a while, they didn't go live to the presser.

I wonder if the fact that they've announced Stage 2 of the grand reopening in Toronto means this daily broadcast will go the way of the daily Trudeau PR - er sorry - press conference as well. 

Interestingly, one of the few stations that still takes the P.M.'s daily updates live is Sauga 960. It follows Marc Patrone's show, who essentially spends two hours every day tearing the federal Liberal leader to pieces. The fact they also don't provide translations for the sometimes lengthy Q&As in French makes it difficult to listen to if you're not bilingual.  

June 23, 2020 5:49 pm  #3

mojo55 wrote:

Important changes to Ontario’s math curriculum announced this afternoon by Premier Ford. What are 1010 and 640
doing? They are asleep at the wheel.  Evan Solomon is discussing tearing down statues in the U.S, while Alan Carter
is dealing with LTC homes.  I am very interested in this issue and am very concerned that my grandkids do not possess simple math skills. The province has finally decided to return to teaching basic math skills & tables. I feel that this is  important enough to warrant live coverage.and definitely more important to Ontarians than the statue issue
south of the border.  Thankfully, 680 news covered it live.  I did not check CBC radio.

I'm surprised none of the local talkers used a piece of this song as an intro to the topic. One of my all time favourites and it pretty well defines my relationship with math to this day. Still brilliant all these years later.

June 23, 2020 7:07 pm  #4

They regularly go to it with him on the air, with Evan indicating that Quebec stations will hear Francois Legault. I'm not sure what changed this week, but they've almost always aired Ford's presser on Solomon's show. Frankly, I was never sure why, given that it IS a national show.