sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 20, 2020 12:09 am  #1

I got Amazon Fire Stick for Father's Day

I managed to get it to work all by myself. It seems all the good channels you need a direct subscription (Netflix or Prime) or a cable subscription (Sportsnet Now).  You can run up the tab very quickly with this thing. Some of the channels are deceiving as they have In-App purchases so you have to be careful what you are hitting on. 

Trying to search om youtube using that small remote is a non-starter. There are plenty of radio stations and podcasts available and about 15 weather channels. 

I don't think it can replace cable at this point. There is a definite lack of sports and local news coverage. With that said I am having fun checking out some of these apps. 

Last edited by cash (June 20, 2020 12:18 am)

June 20, 2020 4:32 pm  #2

Re: I got Amazon Fire Stick for Father's Day

The CBSN news stations are cool. 

June 20, 2020 4:45 pm  #3

Put Kodi on it ;)

June 20, 2020 5:30 pm  #4

Plenty of free on-demand content.  CTV, CBC-GEM, Global, Citytv all have extensive on-demand libraries of programming that you can access for free on the Fire Stick.   You will of course have to sit through commercials.  There are also various radio apps, free of charge that have a lot of stations in every format from all over the world.
You might want to search on youtube or google search (on another device) Fire TV apps.   Lots of "how to" videos.

If you already subscribe to cable, there are a number of apps that you can load up, and access on demand content, for free, once you authenticate your cable or satellite TV account.   That includes sports content.  

June 20, 2020 7:28 pm  #5

pinto wrote:

Put Kodi on it ;)

someone would have to show me and then i would need virus protection. 

June 20, 2020 10:08 pm  #6

I have downloaded about 40 apps and I guess I am nearing the storage limit. I have .99 GB of 5.79 GB left. So this becomes a game of uninstalling apps to make room for other apps. I have also noticed the thing has slowed down as more apps are added. I hate buffering. 

Last edited by cash (June 20, 2020 11:45 pm)

June 20, 2020 10:18 pm  #7

i can't access many of my bell fibe tv services on firestick, unless it's connected to my home wifi. But, i do like the youtube access, as well as subscription services like netflix, prime, and shudder.   As someone else pointed out, crave, cbc gem, and global news are available also.

I tried kodi on an android box once.  to me it was complicated to set up and use, and rife with malware.  not even sure firestick has the space to side-load kodi.

anyway cash, enjoy your new toy!  you can go to the app store and download an air raid siren.... i've had many hours of pleasure from annoying my wife and kids with that treasure!

June 20, 2020 10:59 pm  #8

splunge wrote:

i can't access many of my bell fibe tv services on firestick, unless it's connected to my home wifi. But, i do like the youtube access, as well as subscription services like netflix, prime, and shudder.   As someone else pointed out, crave, cbc gem, and global news are available also.

I tried kodi on an android box once.  to me it was complicated to set up and use, and rife with malware.  not even sure firestick has the space to side-load kodi.

anyway cash, enjoy your new toy!  you can go to the app store and download an air raid siren.... i've had many hours of pleasure from annoying my wife and kids with that treasure!

Thanks. It's almost impossible to get a handle on all the apps. They seem to be in a state of flux. I am not sure how I will actually use this thing but I have been having fun with it.

Last edited by cash (June 20, 2020 11:02 pm)

June 20, 2020 11:10 pm  #9

cash wrote:

I am not sure how I will actually use this thing but I have been having fun with it.

Download filelinked. Many IPTV providers request that you enter their code. They will help you find working things (often free) in trust that it is THEIR IPTV service that you're willing to subscribe to. 

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

June 20, 2020 11:16 pm  #10

Radiowiz wrote:

cash wrote:

I am not sure how I will actually use this thing but I have been having fun with it.

Download filelinked. Many IPTV providers request that you enter their code. They will help you find working things (often free) in trust that it is THEIR IPTV service that you're willing to subscribe to. 

My thinking was that I would not use it for Netflix, Amazon and youtube as these take up a lot of the GB room. That would free it up for more unique channels. i can always run Netflix from my computer using hdmi. Just a thought. 

June 20, 2020 11:48 pm  #11

cash wrote:

Radiowiz wrote:

cash wrote:

My thinking was that I would not use it for Netflix, Amazon and youtube as these take up a lot of the GB room. That would free it up for more unique channels. i can always run Netflix from my computer using hdmi. Just a thought. 

I find Filelinked to be very useful in finding things I might not have found otherwise and downloading new IPTV apk's. 

June 21, 2020 6:14 pm  #12

SiriusXM is on there. I am not sure if this is a free preview or not. 
Sky News is not a live stream, just videos, Meanwhile, Sky News ilive streams on youtube??

Last edited by cash (June 21, 2020 6:19 pm)

June 22, 2020 4:27 pm  #13

I like the FireStick. As I am a Prime Member, this is just an added bonus.  Kodi is good too if you jailbreak it. 

never worked ever, in radio

June 22, 2020 4:41 pm  #14

leafs67 wrote:

I like the FireStick. As I am a Prime Member, this is just an added bonus.  Kodi is good too if you jailbreak it. 

I am getting SiriusXM which is great. Not sure if it is a preview or not. 

June 22, 2020 10:12 pm  #15

cash wrote:

leafs67 wrote:

I think they're running at no cost during Covid 19:  https://fortune.com/2020/03/31/siriusxm-free-streaming-coronavirus-howard-stern/

June 24, 2020 8:54 pm  #16

SiriusXM disappeared today after four free days. They don't tell you much on these streaming services,

Do people actually pay for Calm Radio??

June 24, 2020 10:29 pm  #17

cash wrote:

4 months free, then $8 a month might include Calm radio even if you never use it... 
(don't forget to read the fine print!!)
https://care.siriusxm.ca/subscribe/checkout/streaming?programcode=CAESS4MOFREE&upcode=CAUPSTREAM4MOFREE&utm_campaign=SXM__BAU&utm_source=2020-06_NA_ca-en-roc-mktg-4-mo-free-homepage-caess4mofree-dotca&utm_medium=Native

June 24, 2020 11:14 pm  #18

Radiowiz wrote:

cash wrote:

4 months free, then $8 a month might include Calm radio even if you never use it... 
(don't forget to read the fine print!!)
https://care.siriusxm.ca/subscribe/checkout/streaming?programcode=CAESS4MOFREE&upcode=CAUPSTREAM4MOFREE&utm_campaign=SXM__BAU&utm_source=2020-06_NA_ca-en-roc-mktg-4-mo-free-homepage-caess4mofree-dotca&utm_medium=Native

I paid .99 cents for a one year subscription to Receiver which has thousands of radio channels. 

Last edited by cash (June 24, 2020 11:15 pm)

June 25, 2020 9:19 pm  #19

Radio stations stations sound the same no matter the country especially FM - they all play the same songs in English. 

June 25, 2020 11:01 pm  #20

Radiowiz wrote:

cash wrote:

leafs67 wrote:

I think they're running at no cost during Covid 19:  https://fortune.com/2020/03/31/siriusxm-free-streaming-coronavirus-howard-stern/

The Covid free preview ended in mid May but here's the weird thing. I can still get it on one computer. I fiddled around with a few links on their web site but on another no amount of fiddling allowed me to get the service.

Cool Airchecks and More:
http://www.lettheuniverseanswer.com/

June 26, 2020 5:30 pm  #21

Fitz wrote:

Radiowiz wrote:

cash wrote:

The Covid free preview ended in mid May but here's the weird thing. I can still get it on one computer. I fiddled around with a few links on their web site but on another no amount of fiddling allowed me to get the service.

I got Sirius back again today. What are they doing?

June 26, 2020 6:06 pm  #22

cash wrote:

Looks like the promotion that was supposed to end back in May has been extended to July 6, 2020
https://www.siriusxm.ca/select/summer-with-echo/?ID=SEM&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIsKScp76g6gIVGuDICh3dkgvXEAAYASAAEgLe6vD_BwE

June 26, 2020 7:58 pm  #23

Radiowiz wrote:

cash wrote:

Looks like the promotion that was supposed to end back in May has been extended to July 6, 2020
https://www.siriusxm.ca/select/summer-with-echo/?ID=SEM&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIsKScp76g6gIVGuDICh3dkgvXEAAYASAAEgLe6vD_BwE

thanks 

June 28, 2020 1:27 pm  #24

The Criterion channel doesn't give any free movies at all so it is uninstalled. 
npr one is just clips. You can get the live stream on any of the radio apps. Also uninstalled. 

June 29, 2020 5:59 pm  #25

Stern doesn't work much these days.