sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 15, 2015 10:50 pm  #1

Barrie Radio Employee Pleads Guilty To Sex Offences With Children

He worked at a Christian radio station in Barrie. I love this quote from the linked piece about whether he's been terminated from his job:

“He hasn't been let go, he's just not with us right now,” says Scott Jackson. “He's in jail right now, he hasn't been sentenced yet.”

Wow. What does it take to get fired these days?

Radio station employee pleads guilty to sex offences involving children

Last edited by RadioActive (June 15, 2015 10:51 pm)

June 16, 2015 1:38 am  #2

Re: Barrie Radio Employee Pleads Guilty To Sex Offences With Children

it's called being in "duggar limbo" (as created by tlc).

June 16, 2015 7:57 am  #3

I've been following this story for a while, and noted the result yesterday.  It’s ironic this godless POS would work for a Christian station, I feel terrible for his fellow employees, especially at a station that also relies on public donations and pledges to keep it moving forward.   

Having kids it's difficult to hold back my true feelings on this guy.  Having said that, it's a problem certainly not limited to Christian stations though, as anyone involved in Canadian radio for a lifetime can attest to.  

I get it that it's a new world order today, but I know, especially late 60's through late 80's it used to be a seedy business involving underage boys and girls, cash cover-ups, and coercion.  

I'm sure a Toronto Star reporter talked of her childhood experience meeting a DJ outside Chum only to discover there was an expected blowjob for hockey tickets transaction.  After a quick seach, I can't find the article, so that's as much as I'm referencing.  I do remember at the time though, speculation was rampant as to which DJ was involved, fuelled by the fact she said the person was still on-air in Toronto, and believe me, knowing the way some of those guys acted, it wasn't difficult to guess.

Lots of stations, including CHUM, CFRB, Q, have had DJ's implicated in the past. there's been a long list of charges out there.  Not honestly so sure about convictions, which is why I'm not putting names.  Not surprisingly, I do recall it wasn't the seedy hosts who were the dangerous ones.  much like today, It tended to be charter members of the holier than thou gang.  

“O, what may man within him hide, though angel on the outward side!”
~ William Shakespeare.

One of the groups of charges that jump to mind from 21 years ago, involved not only sex with 12 year old girls, but also an unregistered handgun...  So I'll stop now .

Last edited by ig (June 16, 2015 9:09 am)

Madness takes its toll.  Please have exact change.

June 16, 2015 9:02 am  #4

Somewhere, for a broadcaster far more talented than me, there's a topic here.  Unconditional forgiveness and the Christian church.   I'm also not the poster child for christianity.  Any god who would give an infant eye cancer or whatever is a prick.

Also, if Pop gave up his son to die a horrible death so that our sins could be forgiven forever more, aren't we thumbing our noses at that gesture if we don't justify it with heinous crimes and subsequent forgiveness?  I know if I offered up one of my kids to die in an awful way for others, You sure as shit better take advantage of it, or I'm coming after you.  If he died in vain, you're on the top of my shit list.

So what happens?  Do you go on air and say hey, the bible says forgive, so we're going to do that.  Or just pick n' choose the bits that work.  I honestly don't know, I have no answers, just questions.

But no matter what, the big yin' says if we don't forgive others, then we're shit outta luck When it comes to our own messes.

----8<----------------

Matthew 6:12 And forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors. 13 And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil: For thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, for ever. Amen. 14 For if ye forgive men their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you: 15 But if ye forgive not men their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses. 

Mark 11:25 And when ye stand praying, forgive, if ye have ought against any: that your Father also which is in heaven may forgive you your trespasses. 26 But if ye do not forgive, neither will your Father which is in heaven forgive your trespasses. 

Luke 6:37 Judge not, and ye shall not be judged: condemn not, and ye shall not be condemned: forgive, and ye shall be forgiven: 

Luke 11:4 And forgive us our sins; for we also forgive every one that is indebted to us. And lead us not into temptation; but deliver us from evil. 

Last edited by ig (June 16, 2015 9:03 am)

June 16, 2015 9:21 am  #5

He may not have a prayer in court, but he seems to have one on the air. 

Christian radio station praying for on-air personality/pedophile

June 16, 2015 9:27 am  #6

As a Christian radio station wouldn't it be the height of hypocrisy if they didn't?  He didn't say they condone the guys actions.

RadioActive wrote:

He may not have a prayer in court, but he seems to have one on the air. 

Christian radio station praying for on-air personality/pedophile

June 16, 2015 11:10 am  #7

imho, you forgive the person but remember the "act".  if mr. jackson did indeed make the noted statement (even in jest), and if the employee was charged and convicted,  then something is really wrong with mr. jackson's decision making.  the key word is "convicted"  people charged with such a crime  tend to be viewed as being "guilty" no matter what the truth reveals.

June 16, 2015 11:26 am  #8

Well, if he pled guilty - which he did - I think that's virtually the same thing. He admitted in court what he did. What else is there to say beyond that? The station seems to be waiting for the sentence to be handed down, as if that somehow changes anything. I get why they're "praying for him," That's part of their religious philosophy. But if he's still a station employee or being paid in any way, that's just absurd.  

June 16, 2015 11:40 am  #9

Again though, Scott made the statement just after the guy pled guilty.  Even with every intent to fire him within seconds of that plea, the honest answer to the question was no, he hasn't been fired.  He's no longer listed anywhere on the website etc. so I'm guessing that action was taken.

Scenario #2, Scott is asked the question, and says yes, he's dust.  The ever diligent media call this guys family or get in touch with him, and he says "no.. I haven't been fired"  media call back to the staiton.. "So is he fired or not?"  "Well not fired yet, we have to speak with him, but he will be"..  so why did you say he was?  etc. etc. etc.  Sometimes truth is the best option.

the original hank wrote:

imho, you forgive the person but remember the "act".  if mr. jackson did indeed make the noted statement (even in jest), and if the employee was charged and convicted,  then something is really wrong with mr. jackson's decision making.  the key word is "convicted"  people charged with such a crime  tend to be viewed as being "guilty" no matter what the truth reveals.

June 16, 2015 10:52 pm  #10

And the other shoe finally drops.  

Barrie radio station fires employee who pleaded guilty to sex offences

And it appears there won't be a repeat. Per the linked article: The station will now require all current and future employees to provide a criminal background check.

June 16, 2015 11:24 pm  #11

Was he charged with something before this?  If not, a criminal background check would have made no difference.  As for current employees, that'll be an interesting question for an employment lawyer on Sunday at around 4:10pm  .

RadioActive wrote:

And it appears there won't be a repeat. Per the linked article: The station will now require all current and future employees to provide a criminal background check.

June 17, 2015 11:34 am  #12

i think the safest statement would have been "i can't comment on that right now."  saying "he hasn't been let go.", after the person makes a confession, presents the wrong impression (no matter how honest your statement). yes, it's easy for us to play "armchair quarterback" but you'd think management would have come up with a suitable answer ahead of time to such an obvious question.