sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 12, 2020 10:44 am  #1

Treasure Trove Of “Ed Sullivan Show” Archives Goes Online For Free

Talk about a gold mine of TV and music history. A new agreement with the owners of The Ed Sullivan Show’s historic archive of performances has resulted in an amazing collection of videos being released on the web – for free. The first batch was put up on Friday, and the talent on display – in their peak days – is simply astounding.  

“Universal Music Enterprises said it would release thousands of high-resolution performances from the “Ed Sullivan” catalog over the next three years, with at least one new video posted daily. The first batch includes The Supremes, The Beach Boys, Marvin Gaye, James Brown and Neil Diamond.”

"In the past, only short clips of some performances were available online through official channels, along with unauthorized low-resolution videos."

For those too young to remember, Sullivan’s variety show was a huge sensation in its day, especially when it brought the Beatles over to America for the first time back in 1964. But it also featured every conceivable kind of act, from circus performers and opera singers to comedians and rock and roll bands. Sullivan himself was as a wooden as an old door, but he was a great judge of talent and anyone who was anyone back then appeared on the show.

Reuters: Large trove of history-making 'Ed Sullivan Show' archives to stream online

Here’s where you can find the first entries on YouTube

June 12, 2020 1:27 pm  #2

Re: Treasure Trove Of “Ed Sullivan Show” Archives Goes Online For Free

How many of these "treasure" sites are legal? There has been an influx of illegal collection links (NOT necessarily the one in this thread) being posted here lately.

If you need to say "I hope it doesn't get taken down", then it's illegal and violates plenty of copyright laws.

As an artist myself, I cannot condone people bypassing copyright/clearance/royalty offerings, sorry.