sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 11, 2020 12:05 pm  #1

Jazz-FM Asks CRTC For Permission To Double Its On Air Ad Time

CJRT, aka Jazz-FM, is warning the CRTC it’s in financial trouble and is asking the commission for the only solution it can see – more than double its allowed commercial time from 504 minutes a week to 1,200. Without the extra revenue, it argues, it may not be financially viable.

Because it’s a charitable not-for-profit, it can’t just do it on its own and needs the exemption from the regulator.

Why the emergency request? The station cites COVID-19 as one reason for drying up revenue. It also notes the disease has stopped it from staging many of its live fundraising concerts. And it cites last year’s bad publicity about infighting on the station’s board – and the turnover that resulted – leading to a decline in donors.

And so, it feels it has no choice but to lower the music volume – and up the ads.

“We respectfully request a change to Condition of Licence #4 to increase the maximum number of advertising minutes per broadcast week to 1,200 minutes per week. We believe this will provide the opportunity to remain financially viable while not negatively impacting other stations in the market. Given that JAZZ.FM91’s revenues account for less than 1% of the entire Toronto market, any gains in revenues will not have a material impact on any other station in the market.”

More here. (Note: requires downloading the file)

June 11, 2020 12:38 pm  #2

Re: Jazz-FM Asks CRTC For Permission To Double Its On Air Ad Time

Just as an addendum to this story, it occurs to me that even if Jazz-FM gets its request granted - and I strongly suspect it will - there's no guarantee it will be able to fill those 1,200 minutes. Other commercial stations in the city are struggling for sponsors, with so many businesses shut down by the virus. And some, like CFRB, have even gone so far as to publicly "thank" their advertisers on air for "sticking with them" during the COVID crisis. 

So even if CJRT gets the extra time, there are still a lot of questions about whether it will be able to use those extra ad avails. And if not, how bad is the current "financial viability" it speaks of in the request? Will the station be able to survive even if it gets the go-ahead? I'm sure those topics are high on the agenda of the new board. Either way, it looks like some tough times could be ahead for the only all-jazz format in the country.   

June 11, 2020 4:01 pm  #3

Another thing is the station already talks so much that I turn it off when I want to hear Jazz because thats what I want to hear....music! Sounds selfish but it is what it is. 

June 11, 2020 5:33 pm  #4

For those who don't want to do the math, it's an increase from 3 minutes to 7 minutes per hour.

This won't help in the short-term, as even big stations can't fill 7 minutes an hour with PAID spots right now, but I guess they're banking on a rush to advertising when things improve.

June 11, 2020 5:40 pm  #5

RadioAaron wrote:

even big stations can't fill 7 minutes an hour with PAID spots right now

640 can. If you don't count the fact they stop set Frank Leo, Lavage (nose picking machine), lawyers and Mr. fab-boo-luss in an endless cycle of rinse and repeat.

August 25, 2020 11:25 am  #6

I've been wondering when the CRTC would get around to deciding on this request to essentially double CJRT's ad time and have been watching for a yes or a no either way.

Turns out, they still haven't made a decision some three months later. 

In a ruling on a licence renewal issued on Tuesday, CJRT sailed through the process, with the Commission separately noting the additional request of increased commercials. Their only comment on the proposal? 

It's "currently under consideration. The Commission will issue a decision regarding that application at a later date."

I'm not sure that's exactly the response Jazz FM was looking for. This doesn't seem too complicated. I'd be curious to know what's taking them so long?