sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 3, 2020 2:54 pm  #1

Coast-To-Coast To Return To Ont. Airwaves Next Week

I'm not sure how it came up, but one of the topics Tom McConnell was dealing with on CKTB Wednesday afternoon was the radio station itself. Listeners were calling up asking questions about programming, complaining about various hosts and wondering why certain shows run in St. Catharines but not in London. (The show is simulcast on CJBK there.)

McConnell tried to patiently explain program philosophies until a guy from the GTA called up and complained about the fact Coast-to-Coast has been replaced by "some guy making small talk overnight." To which McConnell claimed the George Noory-hosted program will be back beginning next Monday. 

It wasn't clear if he meant only on CKTB or on 1010 in Toronto, as well. Jason Agnew has been hosting a nationwide overnight show through most of Canada since just after the pandemic began.

June 3, 2020 3:07 pm  #2

Re: Coast-To-Coast To Return To Ont. Airwaves Next Week

Sorry, but the overnight talk "wars" easily has been won by Drex on Corus. Agnew is too little too late. Drex is a natural at both being serious and very casual. Mr. Agnew retreats to his comfort zone far too much. Two hours on a Sunday morning with trivia is enough. It gives me a chance to listen to some FM with Boom.

June 4, 2020 2:59 pm  #3

Really like listening to Drex, will say, if I am up super late and want some George, WMPL in Michigan works fine on Tunein with the google hubs.  Not all US stations do.

Last edited by pinto (June 4, 2020 2:59 pm)

June 4, 2020 11:18 pm  #4

RadioActive wrote:

I'm not sure how it came up, but one of the topics Tom McConnell was dealing with on CKTB Wednesday afternoon was the radio station itself. Listeners were calling up asking questions about programming, complaining about various hosts and wondering why certain shows run in St. Catharines but not in London. (The show is simulcast on CJBK there.)

McConnell tried to patiently explain program philosophies until a guy from the GTA called up and complained about the fact Coast-to-Coast has been replaced by "some guy making small talk overnight." To which McConnell claimed the George Noory-hosted program will be back beginning next Monday. 

It wasn't clear if he meant only on CKTB or on 1010 in Toronto, as well. Jason Agnew has been hosting a nationwide overnight show through most of Canada since just after the pandemic began.

I look forward to never being awake for it.

June 4, 2020 11:39 pm  #5

grilled.cheese wrote:

Agnew said his show was abruptely cancelled

Trivia as well? 🤞

June 11, 2020 4:22 am  #6

Agnew, on June 8th, Tweeted about his show ending. I always assumed it was "temporary" as well, although it would have been nice if it connected with enough listeners to continue on more permanently:

"THE LATE SHIFT.... is done. 
I had a great time keeping all of you night owls across Canada company during the overnight hours, but the show had always planned to be on a temporary basis in the wake of COVID-19.
As places start to open up and get into the "new normal", so will your corresponding radio stations. Thanks to everyone who listened, interacted with and supported the show.
Oh, and don't worry, I'm still going to be hosting Sunday Morning Trivia and @SNMEradio, but if anyone happens to need a TV/Radio host, spokesperson, trivia guy, podcaster, pitch man, etc... let's chat! I've got some time on my hands."