sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 21, 2016 11:09 pm  #1

Veteran CBC TV Newscaster Dies At 92

George McLean was a familiar face to anyone who ever watched The National. 

George McLean, longtime host of CBC's The National, dead at 92

March 21, 2016 11:26 pm  #2

Re: Veteran CBC TV Newscaster Dies At 92

Also remembered for some amazing voicework after retiring from the CBC, including the "Boundless High School" spots he did until 2014.

March 22, 2016 4:13 am  #3

Now that was certainly a GREAT 'voice'.  I never met George.  92?  He didn't get cheated.  My sincere condolences to his family and friends.

March 22, 2016 11:11 am  #4

Peter the K wrote:

Also remembered for some amazing voicework after retiring from the CBC, including the "Boundless High School" spots he did until 2014.

I heard those radio spots and said to myself I KNOW THAT VOICE and finally figured it out....YES...I figured out who was doing the narration. Hard to believe but he still sounded great even in his final years. I didn't have the pleasure of meeting  George McLean but I did work for a brief while with another former C.B.C. national t.v. news anchor.....another George....the late George Finstad.

Last edited by unclefester (March 22, 2016 11:17 am)

March 22, 2016 3:02 pm  #5

He was a great Canadian broadcaster, and although many of us would associate him with CBC's The National, it's curious that he's not mentioned on Wikipedia's page about the long-time newscast. 
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_National_(CBC)#Personalities

March 26, 2016 8:43 pm  #6

Noticed these final words in the Star's obit section:

"We were blessed to learn many valuable lessons from George during his 92 years, among them: Real men don't drive golf carts; scotch is the worthiest of all drinks; and a good life is achievable with drive, determination and a sense of humour – of course good looks and charisma help too."

George McLean obit

While I was looking at that, I noticed on the same page of the print edition that Leon Korbee also passed away. If that name sounds familiar, he was a reporter for many years at at CJOH, CKCO and finally at Toronto's CFTO, on the Queen's Park beat. It doesn't say what took his life but it was too soon. He was only 54.