sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 7, 2020 8:10 pm  #1

They've Remade Bugs Bunny & Elmer Fudd, But Taken Out All The Guns

I'm not sure if this will be shown here but HBO Max, a new streaming service that just launched in the U.S., has brought back new versions of classic Warner Bros.' Looney Tunes, with old faves like Bugs Bunny, Daffy Duck and Elmer Fudd. 

They promise it will remind you of the ones you watched as a kid and will include all the bombs, falling off the cliffs, and all the ACME stuff, but there's one big difference - the makers have decided to take out any guns that appeared in the originals. That means when Elmer tells you to be "wery, wery qwiet" because he's "hunting wabbits," he'll be carrying a scythe or some other implement - but not his traditional rifle. 

Needless to say, this has sparked a huge backlash online, with many accusing the powers-that-be of being too politically correct and worrying more about appearances than getting the new version right. 

I would tend to agree, but there is one caveat. When the original black and white versions of the cartoons were produced in the 30s and 40s, some of them were incredibly racist and none of those are ever shown anymore. (Although if I'm not mistaken, some can still be found on YouTube.) I think getting rid of the racist stereotypes is a good thing, but the feeling online seems to be "Elmer hunting without a gun? That's just ludicrous."

Which just proves that in this be careful what you say or Tweet era, nothing - not even Bugs Bunny - is sacred anymore.

Looney Tunes Has Taken Elmer Fudd's Gun Away for HBO Max Revival

June 7, 2020 9:26 pm  #2

Re: They've Remade Bugs Bunny & Elmer Fudd, But Taken Out All The Guns

One of the most violent cartoons was the Roadrunner, how many ways did Wiley E. Coyote try to kill him and got the worst of it? 

Or the line, "It's Wabbit Season, Duck Season, no Wabbit Season"...yes pretty violent indeed.

Here is a very clever take off of the Roadrunner, done by the Family Guy team! I still find this funny!  It is a bit existential...but has a great scene at the end!

Last edited by Muffaraw Joe (June 7, 2020 9:28 pm)

The world would be so good if it weren't for some people...