sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 2, 2020 12:59 pm  #1

The Golf Channel, MSNBC and CNBC may be gone from Rogers on July 1.

In negotiations as per my Rogers bill. 

Last edited by cash (June 2, 2020 8:39 pm)

June 2, 2020 5:57 pm  #2

Re: The Golf Channel, MSNBC and CNBC may be gone from Rogers on July 1.

Add CNN to that pile and I'll light the match

June 2, 2020 6:50 pm  #3

MSNBC was one of several additions (not requested) that Rogers made to my lineup last year. 

It gave me a second choice when I didn't like a particular CNN host and/or guest.  I've since become a fan of the regular guests that Brian Williams features on The 11th. Hour; in addition to some of their other programming.  With all that is happening in the U.S.,  the option to flip between the two cable news networks;  is something I find beneficial.

Given that many of the channels in my lineup are of no interest to me;  this is one addition that i actually appreciate.

Last edited by Media Observer (June 2, 2020 6:53 pm)

June 3, 2020 2:55 am  #4

cash wrote:

In negotiations as per my Rogers bill. 

Right. AMC was supposed to vanish, but that got worked out, so maybe something will be worked out with these channels also. 

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

June 6, 2020 3:45 pm  #5

Yesterday, when we turned on Morning Joe, we were delighted to discover that MSNBC was *finally* available in HD on Cogeco. This morning, they added it to the HD tier, which possibly means they're serious about making the quality improvement a permanent thing. Fingers crossed.

June 7, 2020 8:24 am  #6

Whatever happens, Rogers better realize that Golf channel is not a "premium" that belongs only in a sports package or as a stand alone at some crazy high price.

Rogers should be including it for free in everything but basic cable. 

Otherwise they're just asking golf fans to cut the cord!  
Golf channel is free online:  https://ustv247.tv/golf-channel/

June 7, 2020 9:07 am  #7

Radiowiz wrote:

Whatever happens, Rogers better realize that Golf channel is not a "premium" that belongs only in a sports package or as a stand alone at some crazy high price.

Rogers should be including it for free in everything but basic cable. 

Otherwise they're just asking golf fans to cut the cord!  
Golf channel is free online:  https://ustv247.tv/golf-channel/

So essentially the opposite of what Canadians wanted and finally got "pick n pay"? Let's force the additional wholesale price onto the majority of subs who don't want the service.

June 7, 2020 2:37 pm  #8

Tickle Trunk wrote:

So essentially the opposite of what Canadians wanted and finally got "pick n pay"? Let's force the additional wholesale price onto the majority of subs who don't want the service.

What is the demand for Golf channel anyway?
Rogers might think the demand is high enough to charge too much for it as a stand alone channel, but people will step away and cut the cord. 
putting it in an expensive sports package is also a problem.
Including it at no extra charge for everyone except those on basic cable solves the problem. 

Remember not too long ago when Rogers allowed you to sign up for a cable package and pick an extra channel for free? That's one way they could do it.  

Last edited by Radiowiz (June 7, 2020 2:37 pm)

June 7, 2020 3:09 pm  #9

Things are always better in the past. 🙈 But this is now. They can charge whatever they want. And if you think it's worth it, you'll subscribe. But don't force specialty channels onto my bill.

"Oh, welcome it the grocery store. I see you got 14 items. For another 7 bucks, you can have creamed possum in a salmon eye socket with a grasshopper reduction." Would you stand for that? Then don't force it into my shopping cart. Thank you.

June 7, 2020 3:50 pm  #10

Tickle Trunk wrote:

Things are always better in the past. 🙈 But this is now. They can charge whatever they want. And if you think it's worth it, you'll subscribe. But don't force specialty channels onto my bill.

"Oh, welcome it the grocery store. I see you got 14 items. For another 7 bucks, you can have creamed possum in a salmon eye socket with a grasshopper reduction." Would you stand for that? Then don't force it into my shopping cart. Thank you.

Where do you get off saying they can charge whatever they want? This is indeed now. Charging what they want encourages cutting the cord.
Like it or not, Golf channel has to be included in everything outside of basic cable WITHOUT raising the price of cable just to keep people from cutting the cord.

June 7, 2020 6:38 pm  #11

Radiowiz wrote:

Tickle Trunk wrote:

Where do you get off saying they can charge whatever they want? This is indeed now. Charging what they want encourages cutting the cord.
Like it or not, Golf channel has to be included in everything outside of basic cable WITHOUT raising the price of cable just to keep people from cutting the cord.

Huh? Put down the alcohol please. So cut the cord if you don't believe in free enterprise. Cable companies get charged a wholesale rate for carrying most channels. They pass the cost onto their subs. I don't want to subsidize other people's favorite pet channel.

I've stated my point here. Not going to argue capitalism with you sorry.

June 7, 2020 7:18 pm  #12

Tickle Trunk wrote:

Radiowiz wrote:

Tickle Trunk wrote:

Huh? Put down the alcohol please. 

I don't drink and I really believe you shouldn't attack like that. Go IPTV yourself. Nuff said.
(maybe then you'll get it)