sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 6, 2020 11:31 am  #1

CITY-TV testing new channel 18.1 frequency

Scanning my antenna tv, I noticed City are testing channel 18.1 when they switch frequencies from channel 57.1

June 8, 2020 10:30 am  #2

Re: CITY-TV testing new channel 18.1 frequency

Indeed along with CFMT channels.   Im just confused how these seperate test channels are broadcasting and the old channels are still running programming for now.  Are these repack channels a whole new transmitter and antenna running on their own?

June 8, 2020 11:15 am  #3

My guess is they are running the main (old) off the backup TX/Tower.   The new repack channel they would run on the former old MAIN site/tower.   

As long as the frequency is different they can have the channel listed on your TV different than what it really is.   As well they can split a transmitter to do 2 different channels with one transmitter.    This is very common in the USA.   For some reason very few do it in Canada OR even use the sub channels.    CBC comes to mind as a huge waste when they could have used the same transmitter for French and English, freeing up budget to put transmitters in like London where they don't have a channel any more. 

Last edited by radiokid (June 8, 2020 11:16 am)

June 8, 2020 12:39 pm  #4

Does anyone know the exact date of the big switch? I imagine all of those changing their frequencies will have to do it at the same time, similar to what happened in Buffalo. But I haven't been able to find a specific day it's happening. 

The Rabbitears site has all the info on where everyone is going - and I also notice that they're now including Star Ray TV, which I don't recall seeing before. 

Rabbitears.info: Toronto-Hamilton

June 8, 2020 4:19 pm  #5

radiokid wrote:

My guess is they are running the main (old) off the backup TX/Tower.   The new repack channel they would run on the former old MAIN site/tower.   

As long as the frequency is different they can have the channel listed on your TV different than what it really is.   As well they can split a transmitter to do 2 different channels with one transmitter.    This is very common in the USA.   For some reason very few do it in Canada OR even use the sub channels.    CBC comes to mind as a huge waste when they could have used the same transmitter for French and English, freeing up budget to put transmitters in like London where they don't have a channel any more. 

The only way id be able to confirm that on my end would be to compare the signal strength for example CITY-DT test channel vs the old frequency still running.  If the test on is stronger than its running from CN Tower vs FCP which would be weaker due to height. 

June 9, 2020 4:11 pm  #6

Tardis wrote:

CIII-17 is on the air today!

Well that probably means the end of me being able to get METV from Syracuse on 17. I am getting the Global test now. Just says TEST on the scan info but the actual channel is being briadcast unlike the other two local test signals.

Last edited by Fitz (June 9, 2020 4:12 pm)

Cool Airchecks and More:
http://www.lettheuniverseanswer.com/

June 9, 2020 10:46 pm  #7

Discovered a new way to get METV as It is a sub channel to WHEC 10 in Rochester.That VHF channel is coming in for me tonight.

Cool Airchecks and More:
http://www.lettheuniverseanswer.com/