sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 24, 2016 11:28 am  #1

Ghomeshi Gets Off

Ironically, that's what got him into trouble in the first place! The judge didn't believe any of his accusers. He still faces a choking charge in June. But even if he beats that one, too, the former CBC host's reputation is so badly stained, does anyone here think he can ever get back into the radio biz?

Regardless of the verdict, I think he's been found guilty in the court of public opinion and that's a much harsher sentence than any judge would render. 

Last edited by RadioActive (March 24, 2016 11:33 am)

March 24, 2016 11:39 am  #2

Re: Ghomeshi Gets Off

Toronto 640 is reportedly wooing both him & Billy Bob Thornton for when it goes all traffic all the time

March 24, 2016 12:12 pm  #3

RadioActive wrote:

Ironically, that's what got him into trouble in the first place!  

Oh you.....great minds think alike....!!

March 24, 2016 1:56 pm  #4

Ms. C. wrote:

Toronto 640 is reportedly wooing both him & Billy Bob Thornton for when it goes all traffic all the time

lol... me thinks billy bob noticed ghomeshi's hipster vibe and decided to shake things up a bit.

March 24, 2016 2:28 pm  #5

Although the verdict is legally correct.  There is enough public knowledge and narrative to know the guy is not innocent.  Don't forget part of his defence at work was a video that showed visible signs of harm to a "date".  

I recall reading an article recall saying if he was found not guilty he could start to rebuild his career.  Personally if anyone hired this ___________ I would boycott them fast then I could change brands of ketchup.  If all he can do in the future is be a Walmart greeter then he will be lucky and quite frankly I wouldn't accept a shopping cart from him.

March 24, 2016 4:58 pm  #6

LOSat wrote:

the guy is not innocent.   

I'm certain that most clear thinking folks would agree with you...

March 24, 2016 5:29 pm  #7

I think the judge got it spot on.  In his judgement he stated that this doesn't mean he didn't do it, just that the quality of the witnesses unfortunately made it impossible to establish his guilt beyond a reasonable doubt.

Was it the fault of the prosecution?
Was it the fault of the witnesses who colluded despite being told not to?

In an interview John Moore did with the first, unidentified witness, she seems satisfied that Ghomeshi has "suffered enough" as a result of the accusations.  Sounds frighteningly vindictive to me.

What I find interesting is the reaction of the protesters who believe that just because a woman says she was assaulted, it must mean that it did in fact happen.  As a man, that scares me.

If he survives his June trial, maybe Ghomeshi can return to the CBC and star in a sitcom about a young woman trying to find her way through life and the older man who "shows her the ropes."

We'll call it, "Beating Erica".

March 24, 2016 10:09 pm  #8

I'm extremely disappointed in the JG verdict.
Having worked in the Toronto market over three decades in radio, all of us in the industry knew about his reputation, including his bosses who did nothing about it despite numerous complaints from female staff.
Sexual harassment and abuse is endemic in the entertainment business, whether it be stage, movies, TV, radio, etc. where one person exercises control and hiring and firing capacity over staff members, both male and female.
I spent 55 years in Canadian Radio and TV, mostly in the major markets, Calgary, Edmonton, Toronto, Ottawa and Vancouver and many of those years in supervisory positions. Ask any of the women with whom I worked how I treated them, no differently from the males.
Those female employees who were having problems with men were far more open with me, an out gay male, than they were with straight male supervisors, who naturally would take the male-dominant position.
When there were very few females in the industry in the 60s and 70s, it was even worse with the chances of being hired and given continuing employment often hinged on what extras they could provide their male employers.
There are many managers who have gotten away with seducing staff both male and female and then discarding them when they became bored with them.
It had nothing to do with their job performance.
Others were hired for nothing more than their sexual desirability by those managers and then were disposed of when someone new came along.
That was and continues to be the reality of the business, especially now when real jobs are few and far between.
For every complaint that officially gets filed, ten do not and the abuser gets to continue his "hobby."
My advise to all emloyees is to record everything, both audio and video.
It's simple to do these days and inexpensive.
When something inappropriate happens, save the file and all the details of time, date, place, circumstances.
Recordings have helped me twice in my career with penalties paid both in cash and demotions/firings of those involved.
With hard evidence, you can speak up in confidence and a travesty such as has just occurred can be avoided.
You are important.
So is your self respect and reputation.
Call out these assholes and lay charges against them, backed up by good solid incontrovertible evidence.
This shit has to stop and you are the only one who can do it.

March 24, 2016 10:42 pm  #9

So, Mr. Cleaver, you're suggesting that because JG has a "reputation" in the industry, he should be automatically considered guilty if someone brings up a complaint against him?

Then by that same token, any woman dressing in revealing clothing, or as a police officer once put it, "like a slut", is obviously asking for it if she is abused and deserves what she gets.

A ridiculous point -- on both counts.

One can only judge a case individually by the merits of the evidence.  This is one of the reasons why an accused's "reputation" is always withheld from a jury so as not to taint the evidence.

In this case, and this case alone, the evidence simply wasn't there.

But you are right.  In this day and age, it is incredibly easy to protect yourself.  Not just by recording conversations, but by not deleting your e-mails.  JG knew this all too well.  In fact, with e-mail systems like gmail that give you virtually unlimited storage, and have amazing search capabilities, JG could produce the e-mails in question with a simple search.  Hopefully, knowing this will be useful for both parties in a dispute.

March 24, 2016 10:43 pm  #10

Good advice Mike.  The guy [ghomeshi] is who he is.  To me he was not quite an average interviewer at best.  His 'book' illustrated what a dullard he was and is.  He's poison.  His days on the air are done.

his 1/2-assed abilities should never have been suggested BY ANY PROFESSIONAL to be a 'standard' to aspire to to begin with.  After all...that's what happened.  Yet it's his 'other' 1/2 which did him in.  The secret's out.

Toodles Jian.  Adios. 

March 25, 2016 3:49 am  #11

Christy Blatchford remarked that she would not trust any of those 3 women to look out a window and say what is happening with the weather

March 25, 2016 9:06 pm  #12

Kilgore wrote:

Christy Blatchford remarked that she would not trust any of those 3 women to look out a window and say what is happening with the weather

Isn't that why he hooked up with them in the first place? He didn't take women's studies at York for no reason.