sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 31, 2020 5:23 pm  #1

Why GNR 640 Needs To Update Its Emergency Backup Broadcast

On Friday night, I was listening to Charles Adler on GNR 640. It was about 10:08 PM, the show had just started and Adler was getting all revved up about the terrible events in Minnesota and elsewhere in the U.S. Suddenly, the line from B.C. went out and there was about 15-20 seconds of dead air.

Most stations on autopilot have an emergency backup tape or file that starts playing when there’s too much silence and the computer did its job, firing it up a few seconds later. But I couldn’t believe what I was hearing. After being told I was listening to the John Oakley Show, the erstwhile host came on and introduced Spider Jones, of all people and another ancient guest. They proceeded to begin talking about two by-elections that could affect the McGuinty government.

Yes, Dalton McGuinty, the guy who stepped down as Premier in 2013. This appeared to be from a time long before that, and there was some discussion of Al Palladini’s chances, a Tory running in Vaughan. Using a process of elimination, it appears this particular show was broadcast sometime around 2003 or 2004, making it just shy of 20 years old!

Now I know it was never meant to be heard. But surely someone at 640 could update the emergency back-up file to something a little more modern. Say at least the later 2000s! If not, I'd love to hear a little Mojo Radio one last time...

May 31, 2020 5:34 pm  #2

Re: Why GNR 640 Needs To Update Its Emergency Backup Broadcast

No Chick's in Jail promo?

May 31, 2020 5:42 pm  #3

Would have loved to hear the late great Scruff Conors in his talk radio mode. 
That would have been a great classic!

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

May 31, 2020 7:10 pm  #4

Charlie wrote:

grilled.cheese wrote:

I remember when 640 was the hog

I don't.  Sounds almost as bad.

I used to LOVE the Hog, but it needed to be FM to sound a lot better.

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

June 2, 2020 3:30 pm  #5

I remember when 640 was CFGM.They tried for years to get a decent signal and when they finally got one of the best in Southern Ontario they quit country music soon after.