sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 28, 2020 3:24 pm  #1

Buffalo Channels 4 & 23 OTA Reception

Here the long-awaited news for those using over-the-air antennas.   Buffalo's Ch.s 4 (WIVB) and 23 (WNLO) have completed tower work and the new antenna has been installed at the top of the tower.   Ongoing disruptions today (Thursday May 28th) as the tower crews remove "rigging" that was used to hoist the antenna to the top of the tower (and new transmission lines) but you should see an improvement later today if not this weekend.   Power increase & significantly greater antenna height will be implemted.  Preliminary measurements suggest parity with WGRZ - nice broad beamwidth.  

This should solve a lot of problems for Big Yellow Board readers.  WKBW's installation of the new antenna has been delayed because its "copter crew" was dispatched to California to fight brush fires.   Maybe another month before they implement changes. (power increase and return to the top of the tower).  WUTV - Fox 29's tower relocation has also been delayed, but they are using the old WNLO tower on Grand Island - so you won't seem much of a change - perhaps a slight bump in signal when they relocate to the (old) WUTV tower.  That will also impact the signal for Ch. 49 (WNYO) - when it relocates to the WUTV tower.

One last "musical chairs/channels" to take place soon.  WBXZ-LD "channel 56" which has 12 video channels, will relocate from its current RF 17 to RF 23.   It is a very low powered station, so very few people are likely to pick it up on a regular basis.  That relocation could occur within the next month, because Canadian stations will start to migrate to their "new" assignments shortly.  CIII-Toronto (Global) will move to Ch. 17 by July.

Last edited by tvguy (May 28, 2020 3:26 pm)

May 28, 2020 3:43 pm  #2

Re: Buffalo Channels 4 & 23 OTA Reception

As always, TVguy comes through with some incredibly timely information. And I mean timely! Just yesterday, I fired off an email to John Carroll, the chief engineer at WIVB, asking this very question. Between COVID and the new antenna, I'm sure he's very busy and I'm not surprised he hasn't responded to some unknown T.O. viewer.

But this answers just about everything I was wondering! I haven't seen a sniff from either 4 or 23 here in months, so I look forward to their return. (It's just too bad we're at a time where both stations are mostly showing nothing but reruns!)

Just checked  - nothing yet, but I'm hopeful they'll be there soon. 

Thanks again TVguy. From my perspective, your timing is incredible!

May 28, 2020 7:11 pm  #3

They're back! Tried both channels just after 7 PM and they were coming in for the first time in months. Not the strongest signal (about a 50 out of 100), but good enough. 

June 1, 2020 10:27 am  #4

Thanks tvguy for the great updates as always!   Whats happening at the CN Tower?  My last tv scan shows those channels still at their old #s 

Last edited by markow202 (June 1, 2020 10:27 am)

June 2, 2020 10:39 am  #5

markow202 wrote:

Thanks tvguy for the great updates as always!   Whats happening at the CN Tower?  My last tv scan shows those channels still at their old #s 

Rogers has lit up City-DT on 18.1; and the two OMNIs on 26.1 and 30.1 this morning.  Just an ID slide/loop, no audio.

June 2, 2020 11:17 am  #6

4 and 23 were off the air after midnight last night.  Mostlikely "tuning" 

June 2, 2020 11:21 am  #7

Glen Warren wrote:

Rogers has lit up City-DT on 18.1; and the two OMNIs on 26.1 and 30.1 this morning.  Just an ID slide/loop, no audio. 

Here's what it looks like:

June 2, 2020 11:24 am  #8

RadioActive wrote:

Glen Warren wrote:

Here's what it looks like:

I just checked but only see regular programming.  I didnt re-scan anything eitheir. 

June 2, 2020 11:27 am  #9

Are you able to tune directly to 18-1 and the rest? Otherwise I'm guessing your tuner will just see the Rogers group where they already are and show you that. To see the newcomers, you would need to tune directly - and I wouldn't recommend rescanning until they all officially move.

June 2, 2020 11:32 am  #10

markow202 wrote:

I just checked but only see regular programming.  I didnt re-scan anything eitheir. 

Correct... they are still running programming on the current RF assignments  RF 40, 44, and 47.

RF 18, 26, and 30 are in "TEST" mode...  

June 2, 2020 11:40 am  #11

Glen Warren wrote:

markow202 wrote:

Correct... they are still running programming on the current RF assignments  RF 40, 44, and 47.

RF 18, 26, and 30 are in "TEST" mode...  

Im wondering then if these are new antennas installed at the CN Tower