sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 1, 2020 12:37 pm  #1

CNN Turns 40 Today

They were the world's first all news channel.  Happy birthday CNN on the big 4-0 today!

https://www.cnn.com/videos/business/2020/05/29/cnn-first-day-on-air-vault-orig.cnn-business/video/playlists/business-vault/

June 1, 2020 1:22 pm  #2

Re: CNN Turns 40 Today

They certainly don't act their age. Terrible twos, traumatic threes or effed up fours at best. 👶

June 1, 2020 2:08 pm  #3

What a day, or year to be alive for them 

June 1, 2020 2:22 pm  #4

All news channels are common now but whatever you think of CNN, it was a pioneer in the TV field. It was so looked down on as a concept when it first appeared that some pundits gave it the name "Chicken Noodle News." Then came the Gulf War and everything changed.

June 1, 2020 3:45 pm  #5

Tickle Trunk wrote:

They certainly don't act their age. Terrible twos, traumatic threes or effed up fours at best. 👶

& your preferred "grown up" news channel is?

June 1, 2020 5:59 pm  #6

One thing that CNN was largely responsible for was the drastic cut in salaries for News anchors.    When they went on the air, Bill Bonds in Detroit was the first million dollar a year local anchor, and others quickly followed.
But CNN went on the air paying their major on air staff much less.   Station owners took noticed and began to ask out loud "why are we paying this guy-woman a mil plus a year when CNN is paying much less.   Guess what happened ?   Million dollar a year news readers quickly started to disappear, and were replaced by people making much less than half that amount, and ratings did not take a big hit.
I never got near that level and to this day I blame CNN.   Just kidding of course...

June 1, 2020 6:03 pm  #7

I liked it better when they separated news and editorial content. Now every anchor's a pundit. It's still my go-to place for breaking news.

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

June 1, 2020 6:10 pm  #8

Dale Patterson wrote:

I liked it better when they separated news and editorial content. Now every anchor's a pundit. It's still my go-to place for breaking news.

I couldn't agree more.  I wish there was an American news network that did news rather than opinion.  Something like CTV News Channel but live most of the time.

June 1, 2020 6:57 pm  #9

Haven't watched more than five minutes since their Gulf War 1 nonsense. Maybe they will someday be relevant and important.

June 2, 2020 9:40 am  #10

Chrisphen wrote:

Haven't watched more than five minutes since their Gulf War 1 nonsense. Maybe they will someday be relevant and important.

Sure.  You haven't watched 5 minutes of CNN since Since 1991.  Very believable.

June 2, 2020 10:03 am  #11

Prod Guy wrote:

Sure.  You haven't watched 5 minutes of CNN since Since 1991.  Very believable.

If it matters I haven't watched a combined 5 minutes of Book, Fashion, Dtour and the countless other zombie channels since... The beginning of recorded time. 😆