sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 28, 2020 2:41 pm  #1

A new station arrives in North Bay...not new but an Oldies format

Nice to see some expansion in these times...as North Bay just got granted a new Oldies format station. Vista Radio is going after the older market with this one...as the music will be from the 50's, 60's and 70's.

Rogers tried to block the move, but the CRTC agreed to the license and Vista put a good business case together too!

So, if you are looking for a gig, you might have to make a big move North, but this is good news to see.

Here is more on the story...

https://www.baytoday.ca/local-news/new-oldies-radio-station-coming-to-north-bay-2376202

Last edited by Muffaraw Joe (May 28, 2020 7:01 pm)

The world would be so good if it weren't for some people...

May 28, 2020 3:20 pm  #2

Re: A new station arrives in North Bay...not new but an Oldies format

Hey Joe: just a quick correction. It's actually NORTH Bay, not Thunder Bay that got the new station. And its call letters will be familiar to those that live there. Vista has chosen CFCH, an old ID that was a heritage station in the north. 

May 28, 2020 7:02 pm  #3

Thanks RA, this is why you rock as a moderator, I made the changes...

Cheers and keep well too please!

Joe! 

The world would be so good if it weren't for some people...

May 28, 2020 7:26 pm  #4

i have a pet theory about this.... oldies? certainly a unique hole in the market that would appear to be competitively non-offensive.  however....  the community is craving an FM Country signal.  just sayin, that sometimes the situation "changes" between application and launch.

May 28, 2020 7:31 pm  #5

splunge wrote:

i have a pet theory about this.... oldies? certainly a unique hole in the market that would appear to be competitively non-offensive.  however....  the community is craving an FM Country signal.  just sayin, that sometimes the situation "changes" between application and launch.

Rogers has a country station on AM, but I would bet they will launch as a Country format.  The Moose is already a Classic Hits station, so they won't have the same format on both of their stations.  Place your bets!

May 28, 2020 7:48 pm  #6

Remember too that the new CFCH has a category two license, which is popular music. They are free to be any format from oldies, to rock, A/C, classic rock, top 40, country, hot A/C etc.. We forget that the CRTC opened up the formats quite a few years ago and commercial stations have leeway to change formats basically whenever they want.   So will they actually sign on as an oldies station, or even stay with that format?  We will see.  But a true oldies station will only need to play 30% cancon.

May 28, 2020 7:52 pm  #7

paterson1 wrote:

But a true oldies station will only need to play 30% cancon.

And that slight reduction has to be applied for, which they didn't.

Vista has about 6 playlists that they plug into their stations, and two of them are Classic HIts with a touch of Hot AC, and Hot AC with a touch of Classic Hits. I'd bet they arrange their two signals with those. I also think the Country speculation above is valid.

One thing it won't be is 50s-70s Oldies.

If it launches.

May 28, 2020 10:13 pm  #8

RadioAaron wrote:

paterson1 wrote:

But a true oldies station will only need to play 30% cancon.

And that slight reduction has to be applied for, which they didn't.

That's a good point RadioAaron.  90% of the playlist has to be before 1981 to be eligible, and if it were to be a "true oldies", one would think that request would have been in the original application.