sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 24, 2020 10:09 am  #1

Sports broadcasting might go the way of video games

Since many sports are still trying to figure it out, this article suggests that sports broadcasting might resort to video game versions...I mean how many times can one watch re-rolls?

Here is the article, what do you think? Could this fly for the time being? I can see it now, Tim and Sid interview some kid in Ancaster who is killing it with his video baseball game!

https://marker.medium.com/the-future-of-sports-looks-a-lot-like-video-games-591e55e8eb40

The world would be so good if it weren't for some people...

May 24, 2020 10:32 am  #2

Re: Sports broadcasting might go the way of video games

More proof that everything old is new again. I'm not sure how many here know how incredibly restrictive (and annoying) the International Olympic Committee is when the games are airing. They have very strongly worded language in their agreements that ONLY the host broadcaster can show highlights from any event for 24 hours. After that, other stations are free to broadcast a few highlights (also limited in length.)

The problem, of course, is that a day later more events have taken place and more medals awarded and something that happened 24 hours ago is old news and no one really wants to show it by then. (That's why you see so many still photos on other stations - that's all they're allowed during the restricted time frame.)

All of which brings me to City TV sometime in the 80s or 90s, which faced a dilemma - the Canadian team was going for the gold medal in hockey and of course it was huge news. But they couldn't show any highlights. So Jim McKenny, one of their sportscasters at that time, brought in one of those old table hockey games and they proceeded to tape a shot-for-shot recreation of the highlights they couldn't show using the "players" on those swivel sticks. 

It wasn't terribly effective in the end, but at least it was a clever idea designed to try and get around the restrictions. So while the situation is new, as you can see, it's been done before. Just not with such good graphics!   

May 24, 2020 10:36 am  #3

Audiences watching someone play videogames is already here and is quite successful. One of the SuperChannels is 24/7 of e-sports. It's big business. There are even app platforms built to support e-sports.

May 25, 2020 8:54 pm  #4

Tickle Trunk wrote:

Audiences watching someone play videogames is already here and is quite successful. One of the SuperChannels is 24/7 of e-sports. It's big business. There are even app platforms built to support e-sports.

I thought of that idea 30 years ago by taping myself playing games, with no commentary. No one thought it was interesting, perhaps because of that. Today, even the non commentary games receive plenty of hits on YouTube.

May 25, 2020 9:02 pm  #5

RadioActive wrote:

I'm not sure how many here know how incredibly restrictive (and annoying) the International Olympic Committee is when the games are airing. They have very strongly worded language in their agreements that ONLY the host broadcaster can show highlights from any event for 24 hours. After that, other stations are free to broadcast a few highlights (also limited in length.)

The IOC reminds me of the WHO

Both are run by a bunch of pompous self serving c*nts

May 26, 2020 5:47 pm  #6

unclefester wrote:

RadioActive wrote:

I'm not sure how many here know how incredibly restrictive (and annoying) the International Olympic Committee is when the games are airing. They have very strongly worded language in their agreements that ONLY the host broadcaster can show highlights from any event for 24 hours. After that, other stations are free to broadcast a few highlights (also limited in length.)

The IOC reminds me of the WHO

Both are run by a bunch of pompous self serving c*nts

Can we please stop with that word?  And no offense, I don't care about old men bitching about the WHO.  640 and 1010 offer plenty of opportunity for old conservative men to complain about politics to a receptive audience. 

Last edited by Prod Guy (May 26, 2020 5:48 pm)

May 26, 2020 8:14 pm  #7

It’s just a word.

May 26, 2020 8:40 pm  #8

Radio111 wrote:

It’s just a word.

As are all words but...

I side with Prod Guy on this one.

May 27, 2020 4:28 pm  #9

Radio111 wrote:

It’s just a word.

Would you call your mom, wife, sister or female co-worker that word?  Would any woman considering posting here feel comfortable contributing on a board where that word seems to be the new buzzword with two uses in the last couple of days?  I doubt it.

May 27, 2020 4:47 pm  #10

Prod Guy wrote:

Radio111 wrote:

It’s just a word.

Would you call your mom, wife, sister or female co-worker that word?  Would any woman considering posting here feel comfortable contributing on a board where that word seems to be the new buzzword with two uses in the last couple of days?  I doubt it.

Agreed.

Either "Radio111" apologises or is banned from here for good.

May 27, 2020 5:18 pm  #11

Tickle Trunk wrote:

Prod Guy wrote:

Radio111 wrote:

It’s just a word.

Agreed.

Uh....it wasn't Radio 111 who submitted the word.

May 27, 2020 6:28 pm  #12

Media Observer wrote:

Tickle Trunk wrote:

Prod Guy wrote:

Agreed.

It doesn't matter. S/he fluffed it off as "just a word". That neither admonished the original poster nor added anything positive by that mere post.

Anybody that cavalier should be banned. Period.

May 27, 2020 6:59 pm  #13

Tickle Trunk wrote:

Media Observer wrote:

Tickle Trunk wrote:

Agreed.

It doesn't matter. S/he fluffed it off as "just a word". That neither admonished the original poster nor added anything positive by that mere post.

I don't like (as I have already stated) the word either,  however if you are advocating banishment for merely being "cavalier";  let alone for having different views then why even bother with a forum that encourages such exchanges.

Also the last time I checked,  RA is still the Moderator!

Last edited by Media Observer (May 27, 2020 7:09 pm)

May 27, 2020 7:10 pm  #14

I'm not fond of the word. But I will note that at least the poster had the decency to recognize it by adding an asterisk and not spelling it out in full, for whatever that's worth.

Overall, the poster in question can be a bit salty at times, but he rarely steps over the line. I'd prefer not to see it repeated here, and as enervating as the debate about its use has been, I'm not prepared to ban someone over just a single infraction like that. 

Hopefully, there won't be any reason for it to appear here again, the IOC or the WHO notwithstanding. 

May 27, 2020 7:43 pm  #15

Media Observer wrote:

Tickle Trunk wrote:

Media Observer wrote:

I don't like (as I have already stated) the word either,  however if you are advocating banishment for merely being "cavalier";  let alone for having different views then why even bother with a forum that encourages such exchanges

You're right. Everyone is allowed to have different views. So let's hear from those that view that word as perfectly acceptable.

May 27, 2020 10:49 pm  #16

I learned, years ago, that some women are really put off with that word.  Years ago, one particular heartthrob of mine made it quite clear that if I ever wanted to see it, I was not to use that word to describe it.

Lesson learned.

May 27, 2020 11:06 pm  #17

so someone wants to banish a person for commenting on whether or not (a different) someone committed an offense? is the slope getting that slippery?  i personally hope not.

Last edited by the original hank (May 27, 2020 11:22 pm)

May 27, 2020 11:45 pm  #18

the original hank wrote:

so someone wants to banish a person for commenting on whether or not (a different) someone committed an offense? is the slope getting that slippery?  i personally hope not.

👍

May 28, 2020 12:07 pm  #19

I had no plans to reply to this, but after comments, here goes. No, I don’t use that word, and I certainly didn’t post it here (thank you to those who noticed that). My point is the language police is way too forceful, and people are way too sensitive these days. I have been called many words I don’t like, but I don’t let it bother me.

This being a private site, it’s up to the moderators and/or owner to set their rules and do as they wish.

May 28, 2020 3:52 pm  #20

Radio111 wrote:

This being a private site, it’s up to the moderators and/or owner to set their rules and do as they wish.

👍👍

...and as the Moderator, RA is second to none.

Last edited by Media Observer (May 28, 2020 3:57 pm)