sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 26, 2020 3:54 pm  #1

These times aren't so funny, seriously they aren't funny, here's why

Comedy, be it live comedy, Just for Laugh's festivals, clubs, TV show specials...is a bust these days. The comedy industry is big business and a growing concern in Canada.

Especially when comedy is needed during these times...my "Facebook Friend" Jeremy Hotz, has done some comedy on Facebook live...but that's about it.

Industries, need to come together collectively and re-vamp how the business model works moving forward.

Here is more on this story...

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfoundland-labrador/standup-comedy-impact-covid-19-1.5582548

What I am wondering is why musicians or comedians haven't made more changes as yet. Why doesn't a local musician in my area doesn't go outside at noon and play for 30 minutes, put out a donation bucket and give passersby (keeping a distance) a little something happy to experience.

I expect necessity will be the mother of invention.

What do you feel Big Yella? 

Chime away!

The world would be so good if it weren't for some people...

May 26, 2020 4:19 pm  #2

Re: These times aren't so funny, seriously they aren't funny, here's why

Stand-up's a tough one - as the article mentions, the audience is such a crucial factor. Sometime, things aren't funny until the room collectively decides it is.

Even beyond stand-up....the pre-taped single player SNL sketches have been painful (yeah, I know, they were before...) The only stuff that's worked on that show for me have been the fully-produced bits that were similar to what they'd do in normal times anyway.

May 26, 2020 6:05 pm  #3

The late night guys are doing okay with their "at home' editions. As far as opening monologues go... Steven Colbert is very good --with-- an audience, but in my opinion falls flat without one. Fallon is a little better and uses a lot of props but I've got to say Jimmy Kimmel is the best at working without an audience. He's truly a funny guy (IMHO).

May 26, 2020 7:38 pm  #4

One of the reasons Jimmy Kimmel is so good without an audience is because he used to work in radio. Ken Levine who wrote for MASH, Cheers and more, wrote a great blog post about this topic. http://kenlevine.blogspot.com/2020/04/being-funny-without-audience.html

May 26, 2020 8:03 pm  #5

Seth Meyers is really funny. His "Closer Look" segments have been just as good from his home as in front of a studio audience. Late Night with Seth Meyers is a bit of an under rated show but is usually pretty funny, and he has some good guests as well.  He had Margaret Atwood on about a year ago. I had never seen her on a US talk show.  The interviews she does on Canadian TV are usually so dry and have a news feel to them, but she seemed to enjoy the studio audience and being on with Seth.