sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 24, 2020 12:16 am  #1

Did The Ashby Show Get This Wrong?

I'm a big fan of Roger Ashby's Oldies Show and usually listen to it on Jewel 88.5 on Saturday afternoon. I strongly suspect Ashby voice tracks the intros and extros and the program is put together by a producer. That's the only way I can account for what appears to be the rather glaring error I heard this weekend.

A listener called up and wanted to hear "World Without Love" by Peter & Gordon from 1964. After going through the famous story of how Paul McCartney wrote it at the Asher household, they played the song. It just wasn't Peter & Gordon. I have no idea who it was, but it definitely was not the hit version and it certainly didn't sound like the distinctive duo. Yet when Ashby backselled the song, he credited it to P&G.

Clearly there was an error somewhere and the listener never got to hear his real request. How could that happen? To me the only explanation is that whoever assembles the actual show found an alternate version by someone else (or it was mislabeled and no one previewed it) and played the wrong one.

Anyone who knows oldies knows that wasn't the hit. Plus I'm left wondering exactly who it was. Anybody know?

May 24, 2020 12:46 am  #2

Re: Did The Ashby Show Get This Wrong?

Del Shannon and Terry Black released their own versions of this song in 1964 and 1965, respectively.

PJ 

ClassicHitsOnline.com...If you enjoy hearing the same 200 songs over and over again...listen to the other guys!

May 24, 2020 9:35 am  #3

I didn't hear it, but Bobby Rydell did a version and CHUM charted it along with Peter and Gordon for a couple of weeks ... after that, they just went with Peter and Gordon. You can see the two versions listed at #9 below. 

May 24, 2020 9:44 am  #4

Jewel 92.1 lists what songs Ashby plays but they are usually 1 or 2 weeks behind. They may show which version of "World Without Love" that was played.  The only other option would be on iHeartRadio since they usually show the artist and song. 

Loved the little story about Sgt. Pepper on the show this past week and the explanation of the OPP badge on Paul's uniform from the album cover. The Beatles playing in Toronto on August 17 1965 and one of the police on security detail gave Paul an OPP badge as a souvenir .  Also the fact that another cop on security that day in Toronto was a Sargeant Pepper.  To any Beatle trivia fan that is an amazing story.

May 24, 2020 9:45 am  #5

Just occurred to me that you might want to hear Rydell's version to see if it was the one that was played ... here it is.

May 24, 2020 10:02 am  #6

Yeah, that sounds like it. Not a great version, especially after you've heard the original. 

Ashby's show is noted for playing alternate versions of songs, but he usually makes it clear that's what they are. Not in this case. (Although I wonder where they got that alternate version of "Stop In The Name of Love"  by the Supremes that they aired this week. He never said where it came from.) 

May 24, 2020 10:42 am  #7

Ironically, I think I heard Rydell's version on Ashby's show many years ago ... it stayed with me because it was so different, not just from Peter and Gordon's version but also from Rydell's earlier hits. But as you said, when I've heard Ashby play a different version of a song in the past, he's always said that this was what he was playing. And that's an aspect of his show that I like -- but to state the obvious, it shouldn't happen with a listener request for the hit version of a song. I agree with what you said about this in your first post, that this indicates that someone else is inserting the music into the show after Ashby records his intros and extros. 

May 24, 2020 2:59 pm  #8

Unfortunate error but I can see such happening in this day and age. I confirmed that it was the Rydell version  b/c I Shazam'd it . I  listened to the stream on oldies 107.7 Arnprior where the shows plays from 12 to 3 on Sundays. 

Cool Airchecks and More:
http://www.lettheuniverseanswer.com/