sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 15, 2020 5:06 pm  #1

Was The 1st -Ever Quiz Show Created By A Canadian On A T.O. Station?

That's the claim made in this article from Radio-Canada International, which says a Canadian radio pioneer not only came up with the world's first-ever quiz show on radio, but did it on a Toronto station. Unfortunately, the station isn't mentioned but the History of Canadian Broadcasting page indicates it was CFRB. 

According to both sources, the very first quiz show ever broadcast went on the air exactly 85 years ago today - on May, 15, 1935. I wonder how much the first winner got or what the prizes were? Still, you can't beat the name of that first question and answer session. It was called ‘Professor Dick and his Question Box.’ And no, you can't make that up, although it would be a great question for a game show. 

This guy is also said to have created a format for British radio where husbands and wives answered questions about each other, a concept that would one day go by the name "The Newlywed Game." 

May 15, 1935: “I’ll take quiz shows for $1,000, Alex”

May 15, 2020 7:08 pm  #2

Re: Was The 1st -Ever Quiz Show Created By A Canadian On A T.O. Station?

Apparently, quiz shows were a big thing for CFRB for much of its early existence. Here's an ad from Feb. 1949.

May 15, 2020 7:17 pm  #3

I used to watch Reach for the Top, secretly wanting to be on...here was one of Canada's best quiz show...also Front Page Challenge with host Fred Davis and this is the Law with Austin Willis and Paul Soles was a good Canadian Quiz Show...

Last edited by Muffaraw Joe (May 15, 2020 7:17 pm)

The world would be so good if it weren't for some people...

May 16, 2020 12:50 am  #4

I remember some of these quiz shows as a youngster in the 50s. Here are some interesting facts about them.
—Roy Ward Diickson created and hosted Treasure Trail, Turnabout, Fun Parade and Take a Chance for CFRB
    and these were also syndicated to other Ontario stations. 
—-Stu Kenney, CKEY morning man during the 40s and 50s hosted Double or Nothing
—-Stan Francis and Cy Mack hosted Share the Wealth which moved from CFRB to the CBC’s Trans Canada network
     in the early 50s.
—Paul Hanover, CHML longtime morning man, hosted Mother Parker’s Musical Mysteries which moved from CFRB
    to CKEY and other Ontario stations.
 —-Let’s Make A Deal’s Monty Hall got his start in radio on CFRB’s weekday 10 minute listener participation quiz show
      called Who Am I?

May 18, 2020 8:55 pm  #5

Monty Hall actually started his radio career in his hometown of Winnipeg. He went to CFRB in 1946, after turning down offers from CKEY and CHML.

May 18, 2020 9:04 pm  #6

I know he worked for CHUM for a time. But I don't think it was in any kind of game show host role and it was certainly before the switch to Top 40 (or in the case of their early days of rock, Top 50.) Still CHUM did have its share of quiz shows in its early days. This is from Feb. 1946:

Last edited by RadioActive (May 18, 2020 9:08 pm)