sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 9, 2020 10:57 pm  #1

CRTC Gets Odd Intervention For Oakville Station’s Licence Renewal

I’m pretty sure most of us here never tune in CJYE, the Christian formatted station at 1250 AM in Oakville. They’re one of dozens of stations the CRTC will consider for licence renewals in the coming week and it should be fairly routine since the Commission indicates they’re fully in compliance.

But they did receive one intervention from someone and it’s unlike anything I’ve ever seen before. Someone named “K Vreeken” from Toronto wrote the CRTC to make his/her opinion known at the hearing.

While it's unlikely to carry any weight, here’s the verbatim text of what the intervener wrote:

“...considering the amount of music this station plays on the am band i find it odd they would not be encouraged or even required to broadcast in hd. for some reason to this day as far as i know there is still not a single station broadcasting in hd on the actual am band unlike the us where there are tons.”

No way of knowing if this person is in broadcasting or not (I find it unlikely, though, since most in the biz wouldn’t bother the CRTC with something like this) but it’s the first time I’ve ever seen a member of the public refer to AM HD at all in Canada. It was the only intervention the Commission received for this application. 

Another strange interlude in this usual rubber stamp from the CRTC:

GNR 640 Toronto is due for renewal as well, and one intervention is from a group called the "Forum for Research and Policy in Communications," a pro Canadian content group. It filed a host of interventions on a number of stations, and to my eyes, most of their complaints read as being more or less a nuisance. But there's one claim they make I find surprising:

"Corus is proposing to reduce the commitment to local programming for all its stations by two thirds – decreasing from its current average of 120.6 hours/week, to 42 hours/week."

It would only be done if there was a financial need for it, according to Corus, which the document says currently broadcasts 109 hours of local programming weekly on CFMJ. I can see how this could fly on say, a Q107 (which is all music.) But how a talk format that concentrates mostly on local issues could get away with that big a reduction and still stay relevant is beyond me. I have no idea if this is true or not, but the intervener claims it is and is demanding the CRTC investigate before it renews any of their stations for another few years. 

It will likely come to nothing but does this mean we can watch for some massive layoffs at Corus Quay if things don't improve in the radio biz in the near future? An interesting early warning if you believe what the group says. 

Among other stations up for renewal:

CKMB-FM, Barrie, Ont. (aka Kool FM 107.5)
CHOP-FM, Pickering (The Pickering Community College station)
CFZM, aka AM 740 (and 96.7 FM downtown!)
CKHC-FM, (aka Humber College Radio, also at 96.7 FM)
CKGE & CKDO, Oshawa
CJXY-FM Burlington (aka Y108)
CJOY-AM Guelph
CJRT-FM (aka Jazz 91.1)
CILQ-FM (aka Q107)
CFTR-AM (aka 680 News)
CHFI-FM

See the full list here.

May 12, 2020 5:43 pm  #2

Re: CRTC Gets Odd Intervention For Oakville Station’s Licence Renewal

RadioActive wrote:

"Corus is proposing to reduce the commitment to local programming for all its stations by two thirds – decreasing from its current average of 120.6 hours/week, to 42 hours/week."

It would only be done if there was a financial need for it, according to Corus, which the document says currently broadcasts 109 hours of local programming weekly on CFMJ. I can see how this could fly on say, a Q107 (which is all music.) But how a talk format that concentrates mostly on local issues could get away with that big a reduction and still stay relevant is beyond me.

Corus is  currently running a 24/7 TV news streaming service. I could see that audio replacing everything but AM and PM drive. You're right, they'd lose local relevance outside of drive, but the current circumstances are dire, and recovery will take a long time, and may never come for lower tier outlets. 

May 12, 2020 6:28 pm  #3

RadioAaron wrote:

Corus is  currently running a 24/7 TV news streaming service. I could see that audio replacing everything but AM and PM drive. You're right, they'd lose local relevance outside of drive, but the current circumstances are dire, and recovery will take a long time, and may never come for lower tier outlets. 

Don't they have a special arrangement with Amazon? If so, the content can not air on the radio. The (live) service is for paying Amazon customers only.

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

May 12, 2020 6:40 pm  #4

No, it's free on the Global app. 

You only have to pay if you want HGTV, etc.

May 13, 2020 7:09 am  #5

RadioAaron wrote:

No, it's free on the Global app. 
You only have to pay if you want HGTV, etc.

Thanks!

I think I was also mixing up links.
Don't bother with this link.
It claims to be live, but in fact it is pre recorded content:
(Live as it was recorded, also live parts of the day, but not live all the time) 
https://globalnews.ca/live/toronto/

This is the correct 24/7 live news link to strengthen your point: (this is the one also found on Amazon)
https://watch.globaltv.com/live-tv/globalnewsott/

Last edited by Radiowiz (May 13, 2020 7:28 am)

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.