sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 5, 2020 8:35 pm  #1

AMC TV Version Of Rob Ford Story Has Inspired Casting For The Mayor

While the infamous Rob Ford story has already appeared in a movie, it turns out U.S. cable station AMC is making one of its own. And from appearances at least, they've come up with an absolutely inspired leading man to play the late mayor - comedian/actor Jim Gaffigan. 

Have to admit the resemblance is amazing. See the pic at the link below. 

If you've never seen Gaffigan in a dramatic role, he's very effective. This thing is being pitched as an actual series and a "dark comedy" which I'm sure the family will not appreciate. But I'm sure it will be highly rated in Canada and especially in the GTA, if they ever actually get back to making TV shows and movies. I can hardly wait to see who they'll cast as Doug and what the current Ont. Premier will have to say about this idea.  

Jim Gaffigan to Play Toronto Mayor Rob Ford in Limited Series in the Works at AMC

May 5, 2020 10:33 pm  #2

Re: AMC TV Version Of Rob Ford Story Has Inspired Casting For The Mayor

Jim Gaffigan does a segment on CBS Sunday Morning.   He's been cooped up in his NYC apartment for 7 weeks with his wife and 5 young children.    I continue to pity him. 

May 5, 2020 11:36 pm  #3

Gaffigan did a sitcom on TV Land in the U.S. a few years ago. ( I don't think it ever made it to Canada.) But it was absolutely great and got terrific reviews. It was about his career, his marriage and his home life with his five children. It was written by Gaffigan and his wife and was mostly an exaggerated version of their life together. And every episode was great (especially the one where he tries out for the role of a character named "Ugly" and everyone agrees he's perfect for it.)

There's another great moment in an episode called 'Wonderful,' in which jokes are made about how terrible it is to work for TV Land because they're so cheap.

It quickly became one of my favourite shows of 2015 and I was crushed when the comedian decided it was too much work and put too much strain on his home life and decided to quit after just two seasons. If you've never seen this gem, most of the episodes are on YouTube at the link below. I just wish there had been more.

https://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLPhailXKruv9LYXdX874eSyKAiKgCOnrQ

May 6, 2020 12:03 am  #4

Jim's show was on the Comedy Network here and was heavily promoted. He is featured on Just for Laughs a fair bit as well.

May 8, 2020 12:02 am  #5

SpinningWheel wrote:

Jim Gaffigan does a segment on CBS Sunday Morning.   He's been cooped up in his NYC apartment for 7 weeks with his wife and 5 young children.    I continue to pity him. 

hi kids look so delightful and well mannered!