sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 11, 2016 7:52 pm  #1

John Donabie returning to the air

His first show on CIUT is Saturday, March 19 from 2-4 p.m.:

http://www.fyimusicnews.ca/articles/2016/03/11/conversation-john-donabie

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

March 11, 2016 8:05 pm  #2

Re: John Donabie returning to the air

He's a talent for sure..

His mom used to live in London, On. a few years back...

Don't know if she is still with us...

March 11, 2016 10:04 pm  #3

Dale.  Thank you for the mention.  I'm really looking forward to it.  Uncle.  My Mom never lived in London, Ont.  She passed in 2004 in Penetang Ont.

March 12, 2016 9:41 am  #4

I've been a John Donabie fan since the late 60s and his days at CHUM FM in particular.  GREAT communicator.  Outstanding show host.  Tough to NOT be doin' a show eh John?  When it gets in your blood... ... ...

March 12, 2016 10:40 am  #5

John D wrote:

Dale. Thank you for the mention. I'm really looking forward to it. Uncle. My Mom never lived in London, Ont. She passed in 2004 in Penetang Ont.

Apologies John for that misstatement.

I didn't know you were a member here but glad you are.

Best luck on your new effort !!

March 12, 2016 12:32 pm  #6

John D wrote:

Dale. Thank you for the mention. I'm really looking forward to it.

Glad to hear you're coming back, John...from a former resident of the "Shwa" to another former resident of the "Shwa".

You're a natural on air.

March 12, 2016 1:43 pm  #7

Fantastic news!  Welcome back to the airwaves, John!   

March 13, 2016 8:57 am  #8

Great news, a music program to actually listen to on the Toronto radio dial. I was hoping that something like this would come along on CIUT and as you mentioned in the linked interview ex WNEW announcers were and are working on WFUV ( Fordham University) in the US and there's a few other examples like that in the US.

I'm thinking The Band will be part of your first playlist.

Incidentally WXRT from Chicago, the last major market station in North America to have any semblance of the Progressive format like that of early CHUM FM, may not have that for much longer. They have been at it since the mid 70's but recently lost long time PD Norm Winer. He was given a token position which he initially accepted but then resigned from. I'm surprised that CBS stayed for the format for so long and hope that I am wrong about a move towards more blandness. 

looking forward to listening to the show.and this is fantastic news for Toronto radio.

Last edited by Fitz (March 13, 2016 9:00 am)

Cool Airchecks and More:
http://www.lettheuniverseanswer.com/

March 20, 2016 1:37 am  #9

Could not listen to the show live and so I recorded it somewhat old school digital box to reel to reel. Yes I know may seem stupid but I have lost digital files with computer crashes and corrupted memory sticks.Just sampled a good portion of the show and a nice start. Passed the audition.

Some random musings about the first show.

Probably have not heard The Joy of Cooking on Toronto radio since they were played on CHUM FM. Tracy Nelson and Mother Earth were another group in the same vein.

Don't remember anyone mentioning "Clarence White of the Byrds" on Toronto radio since the old CHUM FM and was not familar with the artist played who was influenced by Clarence but the track sounded nice.

I remember that Charles Lawton reading  of Jack Kerouac over Mason Williams Classical Gas. I distinctly remember one time being in the parking lot of a park on a nice sunny weekend afternoon and hearing it and as a teenager thinking it was Orson Welles. I think perhaps multiple DJ's used that recording at CHUM FM. That was the clear deja vu moment of the show.

Enjoyed the tribute to Steve Young. The first version of 7 Bridges Road that I heard was by Ian Matthews. Just googled it and did not realize that version was produced by Mike Nesmith

I still have the 45 on Apple of James Taylor's  Carolina In My Mind.: Don't think I have ever heard the demo version that was played on the show today..

Things did get started with Bob Dylan and then The Band and John played a mixed bag of music including Rock, Jazz, and Blues. The music played covered a broader period than just the 60's and 70's.and so it's not just a trip down memory lane. Nice to hear familiar and unfamiliar artists played by someone who has spent so much time in the industry and has who many stories to tell.

Looking forward to future episodes !

Last edited by Fitz (March 20, 2016 6:18 pm)

Cool Airchecks and More:
http://www.lettheuniverseanswer.com/