sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 30, 2020 11:22 am  #1

Buffalo Radio Ratings Surprise - An HD-Only Station Appears In The #s

WBLK continues to rule the radio roost in the Queen City, with WYRK's country crooning not far behind. WBEN still dominates in talk, while the lack of sports has sent those formatted stations into an overtime loss. Oldies and Classic Rock have always done well in Buffalo, and this book is no exception with the showings of 97Rock and WHTT. 

As a poster on the Radio Discussions Board notes, one outlet that shows up at the bottom of the pack is something of a surprise - it's the version of a jazz format on WBFO-2, a station that's only available in HD Radio. Has one of those ever showed up in a ratings report before? 

Buffalo Radio Ratings list

April 30, 2020 1:14 pm  #2

Re: Buffalo Radio Ratings Surprise - An HD-Only Station Appears In The #s

Palm Springs, Calif. From Stationratings.com

KDES-HD2 
Adult Standards FA '19:  3.2
KJJZ-HD2 Modern/Alternative Rock Marker Broadcasting FA '19: 0.7

West Palm Beach Fl. - has at least 4 HD-2's which show up.
https://ratings.radio-online.com/content/arb299

Last edited by tvguy (April 30, 2020 1:21 pm)

April 30, 2020 2:23 pm  #3

So perhaps HD subcarriers are making some inroads after all. It's small and slow, but apparently it's happening in some markets.

I wonder when or if Canadian stations will ever fully embrace this kind of thing, with widespread different formats rather than simply simulcasting an existing AM or FM signal? Or would that require CRTC approval for a "new station?"

April 30, 2020 4:02 pm  #4

Hello R.A. The CRTC allows anyone to use their HD-2, HD-3, etc, for anything they wish.   The issue has come up a couple of times, including a Vancouver situation where the operator of an English language FM station, added ethnic programming.  This is a market which is already super-saturated with S. Asian (licensed) and pirate stations.  The CRTC's view is that the operator could do as he wished so long as he filed a simple form with the Commission advising of the "experiment".  That was also one of the "selling" points that Evanov/Dufferin pitched to the CRTC in the Toronto Orangeville Frequency/Format swap. See Para. 35 of the Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2020-39: " As noted above Dufferin proposed to experiment with an HD radio service for CIRR-FM.  While the Commission is generally supportive of efforts to implement HD services on an experimental basis, it does not have a formal application process or licensing framework for HD radio.  As such, the technical changes requested by CIRR-FM and CIDC-FM do not need to be approved to enable the licensee to experiment with HD radio.  Accordingly the Commission encourages Dufferin to proceed with its proposal to experiment with HD radio based on CIRR-FM's current technical parameters".

RA you might ask "when" does an experiment end?  I guess when the CRTC "says so".

I suppose that introduces some level of risk for those who wish to be innovative, if they are later blind-sided by bureaucrats in Gatineau, QC.

I am aware of Durham Radio's two HD-2's carrying its "WAVE" "smooth" (jazz) format. They also have the Caledonia station's oldies on HD-3.  WAVE is not currently licensed.   Likewise Bell has implemented its country feed on a few stations.   Indie 88 is the only other station that I know of that has a non-licensed format on an HD channel.  Most other broadcasters are repeating an AM signal: CJBC Toronto, FAN and Allnews - Rogers; TSN AM - Bell, etc.      

April 30, 2020 4:19 pm  #5

I don't own an HD radio at the moment, but would certainly consider it if there was more to listen to instead of just better versions of existing signals and the occasional one off format.

It's a golden opportunity to earn more revenue without much extra expense. I'm just not sure why more don't take advantage of it. As more and more HD radios are put into cars, it may be a case of "if you build it, they will come." I know I would if I felt it was worth the money. 

April 30, 2020 8:22 pm  #6

I don't imagine many of the HD "stations" or channels are actually charging for ads.  Ads you hear are mostly bonus commercials or sold in a "package" to get advertisers to spend money on the main station. Some ads might be for very small companies with small advertising budgets but most will be bonus. Stations are concerned about fragmentation for advertisers as well, so they will try and package all of their services together, to ensure better results for advertisers. 

HD channels for now will be an upsell or add on for the main product.  I guess it could be used as a tool at some point  to try and prop up a station that has had a bad book or dip in ratings.  HD for now is still an interesting sideline but as an advertiser I would be a little concerned and question  a ratings service that was showing good numbers for any HD channels, especially since the actual numbers for HD radios used in the marketplace are still quite low.

Last edited by paterson1 (April 30, 2020 8:23 pm)

May 1, 2020 7:15 pm  #7

RadioActive wrote:

As a poster on the Radio Discussions Board notes, one outlet that shows up at the bottom of the pack is something of a surprise - it's the version of a jazz format on WBFO-2, a station that's only available in HD Radio. Has one of those ever showed up in a ratings report before? 

They got a 0.1. About a year ago, Neilson changed their ratings so that any station that got credit for even a single quarter hour from even a single meter would be given a 0.1. So yes, they show up from time-to-time.

Last edited by RadioAaron (May 1, 2020 7:26 pm)

May 1, 2020 7:17 pm  #8

tvguy wrote:

Palm Springs, Calif. From Stationratings.com

KDES-HD2 
Adult Standards FA '19:  3.2
KJJZ-HD2 Modern/Alternative Rock Marker Broadcasting FA '19: 0.7

West Palm Beach Fl. - has at least 4 HD-2's which show up.
https://ratings.radio-online.com/content/arb299

All of those stations have FM translators, which are most likely accounting for almost 100% of their ratings.

May 2, 2020 6:24 pm  #9

Indie 88.1 is indeed experimenting with their HD2 as they seem to have abandoned the active rock for now. Indie type music but without commercials. Not sure how this will help their bottom line except maybe their car listeners will switch back and forth between their two feeds rather than tune into a competitor. 

Cool Airchecks and More:
http://www.lettheuniverseanswer.com/