sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 28, 2020 9:27 am  #1

The Practical Joke On Radio That Changed Major League Baseball

For those suffering from sports withdrawal, here's at least a lifeline to hang onto, if only for a short read.

It's a story I'd never heard before about how a Boston radio talk show's would-be gag partially helped lead to the end of baseball legend Pete Rose's career. Along the way, it stars the great Carl Yastrzemski, an obscure Montreal Expos first base coach, a famous sports writer and more. Worth a read if you miss the game or just need to be reminded what a small act on a single radio station can lead to. 

The harmless practical joke that changed baseball

April 28, 2020 11:43 am  #2

Re: The Practical Joke On Radio That Changed Major League Baseball

as an aside, boston's "the sport's huddle" (eddie, mark, and jim) was a great show! it combined sports knowledge with bostonial style humor (yes, there is such a thing).  it was a weekly show that was hosted by 3 guys who had day jobs out-side of broadcasting (i'm not familiar with the producer mentioned in the story) . they were unconventional (including not allowing callers to start their call with the phrase  "what do you think?"). despite their funny side, they knew sports. eddie andleman was the main guy and ended up commentating an over 100 radio stations, including new york's wfan.  it's been said that "the sports huddle" was one of the country's first sports call-in talk shows (started in 1969)... personally, "the sports huddle" made sunday night fun (when they were on whdh)!  footnote: the story mentioned reds  manager russ nixon. nixon had a connection to boston (and the red sox). when i was a kid, russ was the catcher for the sox.

Last edited by the original hank (April 28, 2020 11:47 am)