sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 27, 2020 11:50 am  #1

Take Your Radio For A Drive Around The World

Saw this on CRN on Facebook, and frankly I don't know what to think about it. It's certainly unique. It allows you to virtually drive through a city (including Toronto) and tune into various live radio stations while the scenery passes. So far, I've heard The Jewel, CKGE Oshawa, CHAY and CKPC. Not that any of those are exactly Toronto stations. 

Other cities featured include such exotic locations as Istanbul, Berlin, Chicago, Havana, NYC, London, Zurich, and L.A. 

You can take it for a test drive here. 

April 27, 2020 1:55 pm  #2

Re: Take Your Radio For A Drive Around The World

Every American city I tried has the same stations one of which is KCKK FM. I googled the station and it's out of Denver and classic Hits. Supposedly sold to a Christian outlet in Jan and a format change was due in March but it seems to be automated classic hits right now but not a bad selection of music for classic hits.

Cool Airchecks and More:
http://www.lettheuniverseanswer.com/

April 27, 2020 3:31 pm  #3

RA is this something that has been around for a while?
Is there a release date? "Drive" creation date?
Toronto was quite a while ago...maybe between 2014 and 2016 because they drive by a restaurant @ Wellesley and Yonge called SIGNS.
It was the first and last restaurant in Toronto operating as a 100% sign language only restaurant.
It has been gone for a few years now.

I'm thinking the video came first and this current idea came (much) later. 

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

April 27, 2020 4:06 pm  #4

I don't know a lot about the app or the page, but if you hit that tiny little link at the bottom called Video Source, it takes you to a YouTube video that reveals the source of the driving shots. In Toronto's case, it comes from a 21 minute entry posted on July 12, 2016, which would seem to match your timeframe.    

The whole thing kind of reminds me of Global's Night Walk without the darkness and the jazz. But who decided to link the videos to the radio feeds, I'm not sure. 

April 27, 2020 5:08 pm  #5

RadioActive wrote:

The whole thing kind of reminds me of Global's Night Walk without the darkness and the jazz. But who decided to link the videos to the radio feeds, I'm not sure. 

An option to switch to night time is not a bad idea! Maybe they'll think of it!

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.