sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 18, 2020 6:22 pm  #1

Johnny Williams, R.I.P.

One day after the passing of Detroit radio legend Robin Seymour, we get word of the death of another Motor City great:

From the Big 8 Facebook page:

"It is with great sadness that I announce our dear friend Johnny Williams (Thomas DeAngelo) has passed away from the effects of the covid19 virus. His family has now made the news public this evening. Johnny will be cremated and a memorial will be announced in upcoming days. We lost Johnny Thursday late afternoon to this dangerous and fast moving virus.

Johnny was from Allen Park and came to the Big 8 at the height of the station's popularity in 1968 and stayed for close to 15 years. He was the man who replaced Alan Almond on the Pillow Talk Show on WNIC then took the show to other markets like Chicago with early forms to tape syndication. Johnny also was one of the first wave of DJs at the new Sirius Satellite Radio in the 90's.

Johnny also was involved with managing local band Tim Tam and The Turn-On in the 60's and was a huge supporter of his son's band The Phoenix Theory!"

Last edited by Dale Patterson (April 18, 2020 6:22 pm)

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

April 18, 2020 6:33 pm  #2

Re: Johnny Williams, R.I.P.

I just read that on MI Buzzboard. He was an all-purpose guy at CKLW. If a daypart needed to be filled, he was there. I remember him on from 9 to noon in the mid-70s. Also a songwriter. His real surname, spelled "DeAngelo" twice, is on the label of "Little Becky's Christmas Wish." He was at the Reunion but I never got a pic with him. I did mention the record, and he turned to Charlie O'Brien and said: See? I told you people remembered it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBb7H-8Sz64

Becky Lamb is a real person. She's the daughter of Flint radio personality Bill Lamb. I delivered the Lambs' mail off and on for a few years, and the presence of a mailman in the story makes it for me a little more special.

Last edited by TomSanders (April 18, 2020 6:36 pm)

April 19, 2020 10:01 am  #3

The CKLW page from iHeart Radio has more on both veterans.

Former CKLW Host Dies Of COVID-19 Complications

April 23, 2020 9:09 am  #4

The Windsor Star looks back at both Robin Seymour and Johnny Williams, remembering the former as host of a teenage dance show on CKLW-TV. 

Passing of TV, radio personalities Seymour, Williams stir local memories