sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 4, 2020 9:16 pm  #1

Covid 19 ads on TV

I haven't heard too many ads by companies addressing the "situation" we're all in on radio, but on TV, while watching the Blue Jays win the 92 World Series today, both Cadillac SUV's and Jeep both addressed how we're together fighting this pandemic...as a Jeep tore down empty Yonge St. (Just kidding it didn't show that)...

But, my question is yay or nay to advertisers that have an almost "War-time" message or angle to how they pitch the brands of products?

Yes, you're okay with this or No, it is not going to make you cozy up to the product? Heck, my training business has really slowed up for right now, so a Cadillac SUV, that is out of my price range and pollutes the planet...isn't going to be my first choice of a car buy in future.

Do you like Commercials that have a Corona virus angle to them?

The world would be so good if it weren't for some people...

April 4, 2020 11:03 pm  #2

Re: Covid 19 ads on TV

Wouldn't say I like the Corona Virus themed ads but I don't dislike them either. A lot of them so far are well done and actually are providing some worthwhile information. Many of the themes are  to thank healthcare workers and in the case of companies that are still operating, thanking their staff. Also reinforcing that we are all in this together which is important. Many restaurants that have take out and delivery are promoting this right now which is a good idea.   Don't know why some people are so cynical about advertising all the time. Especially those that were in commercial radio and television, you should know better.  Never understood the attitude. 

April 5, 2020 2:24 am  #3

I like the thank-you ads. I also like any ad that informs us of how they're currently doing business, letting us know they're still open and how to access them.

A&W has recently pulled their "new coffee" ads in favour of this thank-you message: 
It could do with a reminder of how A&W is currently doing business, (ie are they drive through only?) but still, nice of them to thank those who deserve to be thanked.

Last edited by Radiowiz (April 5, 2020 2:32 am)

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

April 5, 2020 10:21 am  #4

Kind of wish there was a "I'm ambivalent" option for voting.  It's not that I don't care about the situation, (although the conspiracy theorist in me think there's a lot we're not being told about this) but I expect advertisers to take advantage of whatever situation they're handed and make the best of it.

Having said that, that new A&W spot with actor Allen Lulu thanking everyone is a perfect example of doing it right.  

April 5, 2020 10:38 am  #5

As many here know, I can't wait to turn off the ads when Tom Mihalik comes on to do those awful live "Tom's Place" spots. But I have to give him credit for continuing to sponsor several radio stations, especially in a time when his stores are closed and he has no hope of recouping the cost of those ads. It's hard to justify spending the money to advertise a temporarily non-existent business. 

As much as I still can't stand his ads, he's doing a lot of struggling broadcasters a big favour by not pulling out. So kudos to him for that. 

April 5, 2020 11:25 am  #6

I offer this without comment, but you can decide what it means.

Every single morning for the past week, both CFRB and GNR640 has interrupted programming at 11 AM to take the Prime Minister's daily press conference. But not on Sunday, when their paid programming was airing.

What, if anything, do you make of that?

April 5, 2020 12:28 pm  #7

It is not ideal, the PM's talk is available from many other sources for anyone who wants to see or listen. Radio has seen a huge revenue drop which may last for 6 months or longer,  so stations will be hesitant to cancel anything that brings in any money. Is that greed?  No, they are trying to survive and keep their staff working.  Both Newstalk 1010 and AM 640 have been doing a good job keeping their listeners up to date and being a real service to the public with about 90% of their broadcast day covering COVID-19. Both stations will be speaking about COVID this afternoon and will discuss anything the PM said or didn't say today. Again to me not good optics for them this morning but I do understand, and it's important to balance this with all of the excellent work both stations have been doing over the past 3 or 4 weeks.