sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 31, 2020 2:37 pm  #1

Survey Shows Main Reasons People Are Still Listening To Radio

It comes from Jacobs Media and the top two reasons are:

1) It's the easiest thing to tune in when you're in the car and 
2) It's free. 

Hard to argue with either, especially that last one. The survey also finds that being local is the main reason for tune-in, a message the iHearts and Entercoms of the world need to hear as they go around firing their staffs for AI-programmed and voice tracked radio. 

You can find more on the results here

March 31, 2020 7:55 pm  #2

Re: Survey Shows Main Reasons People Are Still Listening To Radio

I hope they also asked "If you don't listen, why not?"
We need to learn about those people too.

March 31, 2020 9:04 pm  #3

drawing no conclusions, simply pointing out my experience here and what i've heard from other industry researchers....

i've taken the Jacobs quiz via an ottawa radio station... i'm on their mailing list. it appears the survey is primarily distributed by radio stations to existing listeners and weighs the next question based on the user's previous responses.

March 31, 2020 11:43 pm  #4

Nice to see that radio is still popular at least according to this article. However I don't understand when they say that Christian and Public radio were the two formats that would be most likely recommended by those taking the survey. Huh?  I wasn't aware that people recommend radio stations, or formats, and who exactly are they recommending to? 

Wouldn't doubt that news and talk stations would be seeing a bump in the ratings right now, especially since many people aren't working.  The TV news channels are seeing a bump in the ratings, this from TV columnist Bill Brioux, comparing Average Minute Audience (AMA) last year compared to this year.

[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.74)]As for the news channels: CBC News Network made huge gains over the same period, going from an AMA of less than 10,000 viewers in 2019 to 53,450 in 2020. CP24 (from 23.51 to 48.3 in AMAs) and CTV News Channel (7.35 to 26.43) have also seen big lifts in viewership. So has BNN Bloomberg Canada, almost tripling in AMA count from 1.07 to 2.97.[/color]

And with most people having more time on their hands, the movie channels are seeing a bump in viewership as well.

[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.74)]Most movie networks seem to be getting a boost from the new stay at home audiences, although a free window currently being offered by many carriers during the crisis hasn’t hurt either. Hollywood Suite has seen its AMAs jump four fold from 1.05 to 4.01 (000). MovieTime went from 3.53 to 4.91. Crave 1&4 are up from 5.03 to 5.9, down slightly at Crave’s 2 and 3. Surprisingly, AMAs were down at HBO Canada from 4.1 to 3.3. Unfortunately, no data is available on how TCM is doing. Gaining I’d guess.[/color]

Last edited by paterson1 (March 31, 2020 11:45 pm)