sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 24, 2020 7:36 pm  #1

Have You Ever Had A Broadcasting Nightmare?

The massive screw-up that greeted the first half hour of Alex Pierson's show on Tuesday night had me remembering a sometime recurring dream I haven't had in a very long time. But when I was working in radio, I experienced it several times over the years. 

In my case, the nightmare started with me being in the main control room with no one else in the station, sitting in front of the board, and hearing the hum of dead air. But no matter what I did, nothing would work. The turntables wouldn't start, the mic wouldn't turn on, the back-up wouldn't fire, the phones were out so I couldn't call engineering and while we were still on the air, nothing was playing.

And in the dream, I kept reaching for a cart but for some reason couldn't get to it, no matter how hard I tried. And the sound of that dead air hum just kept getting louder and louder and louder. 

I used to wake up from it in a cold sweat, usually right before I had to go into work. 

Fortunately, it never actually happened. But all these years later, I've never forgotten that nightmare.

March 24, 2020 8:10 pm  #2

Re: Have You Ever Had A Broadcasting Nightmare?

I think  just about everyone who worked in an on-air capacity has had them from time to time. Mine was always reading the news without any copy

March 24, 2020 8:17 pm  #3

Mine was running through the halls of a station-radio/tv and not being able to find the studio.

March 24, 2020 8:20 pm  #4

I had this one where I was a board op at AM640 on a Tuesday afternoon, when all the hosts were working from home

March 24, 2020 10:50 pm  #5

I have two nightmares that rotate every few months, one is I dream that I'm back in the booth at my old station, doing my show and I only have two albums to play for the next couple of hours, the record library shelves are empty. The second is I've got a new dj job in L.A. or New York, but the board doesn't work, the request lines are going crazy, plus the hot line light is flashing, and it's my PD calling me.

March 26, 2020 6:16 am  #6

I have had sleeping in nightmares a few times, where, I just quit the radio gig I was doing and left it all behind..I didn't even go in to the station, I just "turtled". Now, this didn't happen, but boy it get's your attention during the middle of the night!

It's funny I had the same nightmares at exam time while in school too...

The world would be so good if it weren't for some people...

March 26, 2020 6:53 pm  #7

Had a dream that I was in the FM 108 control room and didn't recognize any of the titles. They were all like ancient heirographics to me. This dream actually happened to me when I filled in another station at the last minute. Most of their music was modern so I didn't recognize it, but I found enough older titles so I got through it, barely.

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

March 29, 2020 7:50 pm  #8

Coming in to the station and realizing I have just minutes to get a newscast on the air and I can't get the computer to put together stories then watching as the clock goes past the top of the hour and the newscast isn't on...the settings are different stations I have worked at and they never look quite the same as I remember but the outcome is always the same...