sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 21, 2020 2:10 pm  #1

Brutal ...

... is just one word to describe what I heard on the radio at Noon today: what they called the Power Panel. It was hosted by some guy who shouldn't be able to get a job in  Bum F**k, Saskatchewan, but yet there he was coast to coast on the  IHeart Network Radio. Or something. He never did call it the same thing twice.  (I hesitate to name the host in case I get it wrong.)  A doctor-guest was lucid enough although he had to answer questions such as, "How do I wash my hands?" And the levels were bad. Then there was a text for Amanda Lang from BNNBloomberg, which the host also got wrong.  But she wasn't there. He went to break, although I thought he said it was a commercial-free program. When they came back he hacked and slashed his way through a paraphrasing of a question he could have simply read from the screen. I couldn't take it any more, and turned my radio off.  It could have been the Sermon on Mount, it simply wasn't worth the pain.  Shameful.

March 21, 2020 5:02 pm  #2

Re: Brutal ...

Agreed. Question is: what are this host’s qualifications to host a “national” radio show to provide critical information during a crisis.
How far can you ride having been an assistant to a certain disaster of a mayor?
Shameful indeed.

March 21, 2020 6:30 pm  #3

Jay Baxter wrote:

...How far can you ride having been an assistant to a certain disaster of a mayor?

Apparently into a position as Editor-in Chief of Sun News despite no journalism experience. But that didn't last, for some reason.

March 21, 2020 7:26 pm  #4

Bell will probably just have a meeting on Monday to discuss this...
"Great work team! Now how can we do things...CHEAPER!!!!"

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

March 21, 2020 7:29 pm  #5

I was actually interested in the guests in this "special", but agreed that the hosting was terrible for the sheer number of gaffes and I started to cringe. I'd been impressed with Jason Agnew and, last night, Dave Kaufman out of Montreal, hosting live programming between midnight and 4:00 am ET.

Worst moment for me was at 45 minutes past the hour when he thanked some guests for being with him, apparently dismissed them, and introducing some names that would appear on the other side of news/traffic. I wondered why they were doing this at a 45 minute point when they had basically been working in half hour chunks. He rather sheepishly admitted on the other side of this small break that he'd read the wrong portion "of the sheet" and the guests in fact were still with him for another 15 minutes. Awkward. For the guest experts, the host, and us as the listener.

March 21, 2020 10:44 pm  #6

but he's a "seasoned professional" .. but I take a pass ..

https://www.iheartradio.ca/newstalk-1010/shows
Sun 2:00 PM  Mark Towhey  MARK TOWHEY  Sun 2:00 PM to 4:00 PM
Hosted by the late Mayor Rob Ford's Chief of Staff, Mark Towhey talks about the big news stories of the day. Expert insight to the local political issues that no one else can offer

March 22, 2020 10:22 am  #7

I found it strange that when I tuned in to 1010 from 10a to 11a, Dr. Clayton Greenway was fielding phone in calls about the virus and mainly how long it lives on certain surfaces and how sanitize them.   It's a show about  pet medicine!     He's really good, the show is informative and though he's a Vet and not an MD, his knowledge is better than most, but it was just weird once I understood what the callers were asking about.   It wasn't about Fluffy!

March 22, 2020 10:57 am  #8

Oh, so that's who he is: a lightweight  who wrote hack pieces for the Sun for a few weeks before being shown the door.  Plus the editor's job. Also  for a few weeks.  And now he's got a radio gig full-time on the station  that used to have the most respected call letters in Canadian Broadcasting.  Nice.    An erstwhile Boy Wonder Mike Bendixen might have picked up the phone and called (let's say) John Donabie and said, "Hey John, I have this 2-hour gig. It only pays $50 bucks,though. Interested?"  I don't know John Donabie but I'll bet he would have walked to the studio where he would have performed professionally and credibly, unlike yesterday's disaster.   "You're only as good as your last show," also applies to Program Directors. 

March 23, 2020 5:31 pm  #9

potentiometer wrote:

...also applies to Program Directors. 

Brand Manager, I'll have you know. 

March 28, 2020 6:09 am  #10

I guess they learned their lesson (we know radio folks read/lurk here, so maybe 1010's "Brand Manager" does - else, it's just a coincidence/scheduling thing), but Mark Towhey won't be doing today's 12 pm "Power Panel" installment hosting after last week's absolute hosting mess of it. Dave Trafford has just indicated he'll be the one hosting it today - in my view, a much more experienced, stronger choice, so we'll see how it goes today.

Last edited by AspectRatio (March 28, 2020 6:10 am)

March 28, 2020 11:35 am  #11

I remember Christie Blatchford tearing Towhey apart on air over his days with Rob Ford. It made for good radio. 

May 7, 2020 8:15 am  #12

Suffered through another Newstalk 1010 round table this morning where Mark Towhey continued to dim the level of discussion.  Does he indeed "tie an onion to his belt"? 

Memo to Mike Bendixen, Newstalk 1010 Program Director:
Fire this clown.  John Moore is the best your station has to offer.  Tarnishing Moore's show with the presence of Mark Towhey is an 
abomination.  If you must, at least isolate Towhey & Agar to their own "The Dim Yell of the Clouds" show.

May 7, 2020 1:13 pm  #13

g121 wrote:

Suffered through another Newstalk 1010 round table this morning where Mark Towhey continued to dim the level of discussion.  Does he indeed "tie an onion to his belt"? 

Memo to Mike Bendixen, Newstalk 1010 Program Director:
Fire this clown.  John Moore is the best your station has to offer.  Tarnishing Moore's show with the presence of Mark Towhey is an 
abomination.  If you must, at least isolate Towhey & Agar to their own "The Dim Yell of the Clouds" show.

"Mark Towhey is an abomination."  A slight exaggeration don't you think g121?  Generally I prefer Towhey over Agar but I do understand why they are on.  Newstalk 1010 wants some balance and also a  conservative perspective to counter John Moore and others to the centre left.  I tend to be conservative in some areas and often don't agree with Towhey and almost never agree with Agar.  Jerry does make some good points occasionally, but then tends to say something stupid or exaggerates to ruin his whole argument. I loved the time that John Tory challenged Jerry to run for office if government was so bad and terrible.  John told him it was easy to take pot shots and have all the answers from the sidelines. 

Mark's weekend shows are sometimes interesting, but as a listener I go in realizing that I likely won't agree with him on various topics.  Generally I find Towhey a little more balanced than Roy Green who is more biased and tends to leave out certain facts in his opinions. However, I find those on the left do the exact same thing.

July 30, 2020 8:15 am  #14

*sigh* suffered through another Newstalk 1010 round table this morning with Mark Towhey & Shelley Carroll.

It's one thing to present a different point of view which one may or may not agree with.

.. BUT .. 

Why does Towhey need to support his view by being rude, belligerent, mocking & obnoxious?

If one can't discuss in civilized manner, get the heck off the dial.  Even if your viewpoint has merit, if you are being an ass, you lose.

Exactly what audience do these loud mouthed boors appeal to?

John Moore is superb.  Dave Trafford is an excellent fill-in.  The likes of a Towhey drag the show to a gutter brawl.

July 30, 2020 8:19 am  #15

g121 wrote:

*sigh* suffered through another Newstalk 1010 round table this morning with Mark Towhey & Shelley Carroll.

It's one thing to present a different point of view which one may or may not agree with.

.. BUT .. 

Why does Towhey need to support his view by being rude, belligerent, mocking & obnoxious?

If one can't discuss in civilized manner, get the heck off the dial.  Even if your viewpoint has merit, if you are being an ass, you lose.

Exactly what audience do these loud mouthed boors appeal to?

John Moore is superb.  Dave Trafford is an excellent fill-in.  The likes of a Towhey drag the show to a gutter brawl.

We get it already

You don’t like Towhey. Why not just change the channel when he comes on?

I thought that was a great panel. Better than some of the circle jerk ones that have been on recently