sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 15, 2016 3:42 pm  #1

CBS Getting out of Radio

[Via NTS Media]

CBS Chairman-CEO Leslie Moonves confirmed plans to sell or spinoff its radio assets.

Contacted by NTS MediaOnline Today for comment, a spokesperson for CBS Radio confirmed that Moonves did tell investors the company “will begin to officially explore strategic options for Radio as a whole” and added, “CBS Radio is a terrific organization, with a tremendous history and a great future. It makes sense that CBS Corporation, a company that is now focused primarily on premium video content, would choose to unlock the value of its radio operation.

While it is still very early in this process, we are enthusiastic about the possibilities that lie ahead, and look forward to competing in this evolving industry with the strongest portfolio of major-market brands in the radio business. Going forward, we will do everything we can to assist in this transformative action and believe it will be to the benefit of our division, our stations and our people.”

Madness takes its toll.  Please have exact change.

March 15, 2016 4:19 pm  #2

Re: CBS Getting out of Radio

Wow !!

Wonder  if anybody saw this coming ?

Such a sale would include my favourite U.S. station Boston's WBZ...1030 on your dial...

Listen to it nightly and I first appeared on WBZ's all night Larry Glick show back in 1972...

March 15, 2016 4:25 pm  #3

I imagine it would also include CBS Radio network news.

Madness takes its toll.  Please have exact change.

March 15, 2016 5:19 pm  #4

unclefester wrote:

Wow !!

Wonder  if anybody saw this coming ?

I did and do.  Anything but local, Local, LOCAL radio is toast.  The time frame?  Years rather than decades,  Companies will only need 1 station per market...and that means within earshot...not one in Hamilton and one in Toronto.   Regional radio is a never win brand.   Everything else is on-line or available via those things that float around in space...beaming the signals back to earth.  Traditional TV is toast too..

Bell, Rogers and the 'others' up here in Canada?  Better get unloading 'assets' while you still can or YOU'RE goin' down.  Even now what'll they get?  50 cents on the dollar.  Soon it'll be a dime... ... ...or less.  Golden goose killers.

Last edited by Old Codger (March 15, 2016 5:21 pm)