sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 17, 2020 6:48 am  #1

The changes are staggering

Some moments in the day, I think about how the landscape of life, economics and even our corner of the world,  has just changed. That the business model of the past, is done, finished with. 

For example, I watch Breakfast Television as I exercise in the morning...and today as I am watching, I thought man, Nicole Servinis won't be doing the slice of life live reports any more...she goes to restaurants, shops, event places, Great Wolf Lodge, Gyms, in door bike trails...just like that, her job and role has just changed.

It is staggering to be honest. She is just one person...there are so many roles and gigs and advertisers in the business who's work has just totally been put to a halt.

Myself included to be honest.

I think instead of brooding on it...and yes we need to mourn the potential for losses, we also need to re-create and develop new ways of communicating and connecting.

This is one change and one example, but the whole business model of broadcasting has just been blown apart.

Time to really create a new model.

I really do wish all the people in the broadcasting biz well, and please God, there will be new opportunities and possibilities...

Last edited by Muffaraw Joe (March 17, 2020 6:51 am)

The world would be so good if it weren't for some people...

March 17, 2020 6:55 am  #2

Re: The changes are staggering

the only thing that is constant is change

March 17, 2020 8:56 am  #3

I believe almost every CFRB host is broadcasting from their home studios. Both John Moore and Jerry Agar admitted as much on the first morning Roundtable Tuesday. I would still prefer to be at a physical radio station, but thanks to technology, you can't really tell, although I did notice some odd audio artifacts during the Doyle/Michaels show on Monday. Other than that, it seemed to work pretty well.

I would imagine someone has to show up at the actual station, likely either a producer or a board op. A body HAS to be there in case things go haywire. But so far, it's been working well.

How long this continues is another question.

It's a much different situation for TV, and with all the people needed to put on an hour-long newscast, I'm not sure what they're doing about "social distancing." 

But we're certainly living in an interesting time.  

March 17, 2020 9:21 am  #4

Speaking of working from home, ESPN has an article about what that's like for its hosts - along with a number of pics that show what their set-ups are like. 

Home Sweet Work: Remote Audio “Kits” Help Power ESPN Radio Content

March 17, 2020 11:23 am  #5

RadioActive wrote:

Speaking of working from home, ESPN has an article about what that's like for its hosts - along with a number of pics that show what their set-ups are like. 

Home Sweet Work: Remote Audio “Kits” Help Power ESPN Radio Content

Caught TSN's Darren Dreger (self isolation) on Jay & Dan, being interviewed from his home setup in Brooklin.

Last edited by Media Observer (March 17, 2020 6:00 pm)

March 17, 2020 4:46 pm  #6

Doyle and Michaels admitted they were in their respective home studios at the start of their show Tuesday and that all CFRB hosts were doing it remotely. What surprised me was their producer was also on home assignment. Obviously, someone has to be at the real controls inside the actual station, but I'm sure given what's going on, that's a very lonely assignment. Although, I'm pretty sure the newsroom has to be staffed. 

Edit: GNR 640 is running a promo featuring Global news anchor Farah Nasser, counting down her days in isolation and assuring viewers the news will still air without her. (Tuesday was Day 3.) I'm not sure if she was out of the country or not, but she'll be off the air for at least two weeks.  

Last edited by RadioActive (March 17, 2020 5:28 pm)

March 17, 2020 6:06 pm  #7

She was vacationing with family in Mexico last week. Incidentally, Piya Chattopadhyay was also in Mexico same time.

March 17, 2020 10:14 pm  #8

Radiowiz wrote:

Meanwhile City TV is still running ads for business that clearly read "Dine in only" 
(Boston Pizza to name one...)

There is no excuse for this behaviour. Those ads should have been pulled and replaced with reminders that they actually deliver...include delivery specials etc...

Logs are likely done a day or two in advance.

March 18, 2020 1:47 pm  #9

There has to be a board op; in the station.  Things have definitely changed; since I worked there; as everyone at the time did not have a home studio.  Good for them.  It's the way of the future.  No reason for everyone to drive downtown to a central location; with today's technology.  

March 18, 2020 2:15 pm  #10

67GreenRambler wrote:

[Farah Nasser] was vacationing with family in Mexico last week. Incidentally, Piya Chattopadhyay was also in Mexico same time.

Apparently Farah Nasser is doing some anchoring from her backyard, so I suppose she's not really off the air. But what happens if it rains? I guess weatherman Anthony Farnell can help her - he's also doing his forecasts from his backyard. 

Meanwhile, Marilyn Denis is doing her CHUM-FM morning gig from home, as she waits to see if her sore throat is more than just a sore throat. Also Roger Petersen is gone from BT for two weeks, after returning from Dubai. 

A list of all those local people and productions affected by the virus shutdown for now

March 18, 2020 2:25 pm  #11

John D wrote:

There has to be a board op; in the station. 

Music stations can do a live single person show without one.

March 18, 2020 2:50 pm  #12

Not if there at home RadioAaron.

March 18, 2020 3:28 pm  #13

John D wrote:

Sorry to disagree, John, but, there doesn't need to be a board op at the station, if the IT department has advanced technology running. Even the most basic automation software can be overridden from "jock" to "assist" modes remotely.

March 18, 2020 6:03 pm  #14

John D wrote:

They sure can! I've done it.

March 19, 2020 9:52 am  #15

I stand corrected.  The Times They Are A Changing.

March 19, 2020 11:16 am  #16

It's pretty cool. Listened to a medium market morning show this morning...the host is at home, and in control of the automation, the news guy is pre-recording casts at home and uploading them to the automation, and the traffic reports from an outside company also pre-recorded and inserted. If they weren't talking about the setup I don't think the average listener would have noticed.

March 19, 2020 11:34 am  #17

So what if all this is the new normal, like all the "temporary" measures put in place "for our safety" after 9-11, that no one ever got around to removing?

March 19, 2020 5:29 pm  #18

The new Boston Pizza ad finally aired. Excellent, Covers all angles well, includes a 15% discount for delivery. 

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

March 19, 2020 5:29 pm  #19

TomSanders wrote:

So what if all this is the new normal, like all the "temporary" measures put in place "for our safety" after 9-11, that no one ever got around to removing?

Been thinking about that a lot this week.

Some pretty high profile hosts with lots of leverage getting pretty comfortable with this setup....