sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 18, 2020 12:16 pm  #1

CBC/CTVBell

(With apologies to Mufferaw Joe...)

I'm one of those who could be hugely impacted by Covid-19.  In fact I could be a poster boy for people at risk. So, who do I turn to for information I trust? CBC.   Radio/TV/Internet.  Hands down. Almost exclusively actually.

I am aware of the opinion of many people in here when it comes to the CBC: the cost, the slant, etc.

(This is the Mufferaw part.

Who are you turning to?

March 18, 2020 12:46 pm  #2

Re: CBC/CTVBell

CTV is my first choice for Canadian broadcast news.

If you are a viewer of any Local CBC newscast,  you will now need to chose an alternative:

https://blog.fagstein.com/2020/03/18/cbc-suspends-local-tv-newscasts/

March 18, 2020 12:47 pm  #3

CNN and CBC. CNN has been doing an outstanding job in general, and I've especially appreciated the information provided by Sanjay Gupta in particular. 

March 18, 2020 1:58 pm  #4

I tend to prefer radio for the coverage, mainly because it's far more portable. I can hear it in the bathroom, taking the dog for a walk or while driving in the car. Can't say that about TV, unless you're lucky enough to have a set in your powder room. Also, radio is more likely to interrupt programming than TV, which could be in the middle of a program's plotline or highlight - and it's less easy to just suddenly come on the air.  

Media Observer wrote:

If you are a viewer of any Local CBC newscast,  you will now need to chose an alternative:

https://blog.fagstein.com/2020/03/18/cbc-suspends-local-tv-newscasts/ 

This is a stunning story to me, especially considering how each city, if not community, is facing its own challenges. Toronto and the bigger markets have lots of choice. But the CBC, which draws millions in taxpayers dollars, has one main mission - to inform Canadians about Canada. How you do that by switching to a national-only coverage when each city is implementing its own rules and undergoing its own crisis is beyond me. 

I understand their reasoning but I don't buy it. And what happens to all the anchors like Dwight Drummond here? Do they lose their positions or sink into the background? A very strange decision and, while I'm no admirer of the CBC, this is one case where they may really be needed on a market-by-market basis. And this is how they choose to serve their viewers? 

Needless to say, the comments on this story posted on their website are not complimentary. 

CBC.ca: CBC temporarily replaces local evening TV news amid coronavirus pandemic

March 18, 2020 3:20 pm  #5

March 18, 2020 6:47 pm  #6

Optics of this are not good. CBC Toronto right now during the six o'clock "local" package looks a little like CP 24 or City.  CBC and CTV have both been doing a good job on a national level.  I have been flipping between CBC, CTV, CNN and CP24.   On a national level I would give it to CBC News Network overall, especially in the morning.

Locally it is no contest with CTV clearly the best.  Haven't really watched City,Global but did see some of CHCH and they are doing a good job locally in Hamilton.    The CBC is counted on in rural areas for local information, granted radio will be doing this but the local CBC TV affiliates still should have a local news package. They already do poorly in the local TV ratings and this won't help at all!

The only saving grace is that they are interviewing Peter Lin right now who along with Sanjay Gupta on CNN is very good at explaining health issues. 

Last edited by paterson1 (March 18, 2020 7:01 pm)

March 18, 2020 7:53 pm  #7

Employment lawyer Howard Levitt wrote about this roughly 3 weeks ago. "Lawsuits against employers who do not sufficiently protect their employees" is WHY sports leagues are shut down and now TV newscasts. Most of those workers use the TTC...

March 18, 2020 8:00 pm  #8

RadioActive wrote:

And what happens to all the anchors like Dwight Drummond here? Do they lose their positions or sink into the background? A very strange decision and, while I'm no admirer of the CBC, this is one case where they may really be needed on a market-by-market basis. And this is how they choose to serve their viewers? 

The local anchor here in Calgary, Andrew Brown, tweeted today that he's being reassigned to working this weekend. I suspect others will get shuffled around too, as well as  to radio and digital.