sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 16, 2020 1:22 pm  #1

GNR 640's Jeff McArthur Among Those In Self Isolation

So far, there haven't been a lot of prominent Toronto media personalities stuck in self-isolation. You can't say that anymore about GNR640's Jeff McArthur. He doesn't have the virus as far as we know. But he just returned from a trip to the U.S. and will get the next two weeks off literally on his own.

Arlene Bynon will take his place on the afternoon show, at least in the interim. No word on who will replace him on Global. 

It looks like Corus did not provide its on air personalities the equipment necessary to do their shows from home if needed, as Bell's NT1010 has done. 

The other well known name out of circulation for a bit is Mike Bendixen, who also came back from abroad. The CFRB Brand Director frequently appears on the station's Roundtables as one of the commentators. He won't be back in the saddle until almost April.

Both have been checking in by phone. 

March 16, 2020 1:26 pm  #2

Re: GNR 640's Jeff McArthur Among Those In Self Isolation

Evan Solomon also self isolating

Broadcasting from home

March 16, 2020 2:43 pm  #3

Mr magoogain wrote:

Evan Solomon also self isolating

Broadcasting from home

Yes, I think I heard that on his show Monday afternoon. Interesting, though, that he appeared on set for Question Period segments a day earlier. So I guess his isolation began after he finished that show. But doesn't that kind of defeat the purpose?

March 16, 2020 2:48 pm  #4

grilled.cheese wrote:

Kudos  to Jeff for being responsible and staying home. 

I don't disagree but couldn't they set him up with a line and let him do the show from his house? I'm not sure why they wouldn't do that, especially if he's not showing any symptoms. It's a mite inconvenient but technically, you can't even tell.

Scott Reid, CFRB's Liberal spokesman, is still making comments by phone but appears to be stuck in Costa Rica, with no current way back. Even when he returns, he'll be forced into isolation for two weeks. 

And I also notice that RB's Jerry Agar is no longer doing the "panel" in the first hour of his show in order to maintain social distance. But there's no reason they couldn't still appear by phone, either.