sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 4, 2020 9:42 am  #1

Popular DJ Does Aft. Shift In Scotland - From His New Home In Toronto

Long distance networking is nothing new in radio, but when a Scottish radio host lost his job, he decided to pull up stakes and move his family to Toronto. But as the preparations were underway, a new opportunity opened up. And now Paul Harper is based here - but does a daily afternoon show back to his home country. 

With the time difference, that means if his show is on at 1 PM back home, he's actually doing it at 8 in the morning here. Certainly an interesting career move, but it doesn't appear to have affected him at all. 

The station doesn't seem to want to acknowledge his absence on its website, as his station bio indicates. "Paul is a massive Aberdeen FC fan and as a tribute to his heroes keeps a dozen sheep in his back garden. Paul is happily married but tells us the sheep help keep the grass short. Aye right, Paul."

Don't think they allow sheep in any Toronto backyards.

If you're curious about what he sounds like, you can hear the station over the net here

Pure Radio’s Paul Harper emigrates to Toronto

February 5, 2020 1:33 am  #2

Re: Popular DJ Does Aft. Shift In Scotland - From His New Home In Toronto

Remember Tom Joyner? For years, he did the morning show at KKDA-FM Dallas then flew to WMGI-FM Chicago for an afternoon show in Chicago. "The Fly Jock" flew from Dallas to Chicago between shifts, then flew back to Dallas at night. He racked up seven million frequent flyer files in the seven years he did this. Nowadays he'd be able to stay in one place of course.

https://chicagocrusader.com/after-25-years-there-will-never-be-another-like-tom-joyner/

Last edited by Dale Patterson (February 5, 2020 1:35 am)

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

February 5, 2020 8:54 am  #3

Neil Rogers was a top talk show host on Miami radio and for many years his show originated from his condo in Toronto. He never hid the fact he was in Toronto and regularly mentioned Woodbine and other Toronto attractions on WQAM. 

March 14, 2020 9:13 pm  #4

It took more than a month, but the Toronto Sun finally picked up on this local story that's only partially a local story. But at least it caused them to do a yarn about radio for a change!

A Scottish radio show ... from Toronto? Och, aye!

March 14, 2020 9:33 pm  #5

ISDN goes the distance!

March 14, 2020 11:02 pm  #6

Great little article. I listened to Pure a few weeks back, not a bad station, lots of personality. I agree as we all have mentioned before, I don't know for the life of me why Toronto newspapers don't do more articles on local radio and media in general. We are the fourth biggest media centre in North America and local newspapers seem oblivious to this.  On top of this, Toronto is blessed with four English daily newspapers which is unheard of in North America.

Paul was very gracious in his comments about Toronto and local radio. This is significant because radio in the UK is excellent, and a lot of fun to listen to.  One little error in Liz's article would be the number of Scots in Toronto. Yes the numbers are high in the GTA but the 6.5 million of Scottish heritage would be across Canada. I am of Scottish heritage myself and if you ever go to Scotland pretty well everyone you meet either has been here, or has a relative in Canada. And Scots tend to be pretty knowledgeable about us.

Welcome to Canada Paul Harper and Family!