sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 5, 2020 12:00 am  #1

Former Global News guy, Leslie Roberts on air in Ottawa now!

Leslie Roberts joins a few Toronto ex-pats on News Talk Radio CFRA 580...with a mid morning show starting March 9th.

He joins Bill Carroll and Evan Solomon on air...

CFRA has launched a lot of good careers, the late Mark Elliott, Gene Valitis, Tom Jeffries all went through the CFRA studios at one point.

Here's more on Leslie's new and additional gig...

https://ottawa.ctvnews.ca/leslie-roberts-hosts-all-new-morning-talk-show-on-newstalk-580-cfra-1.4838757

The world would be so good if it weren't for some people...

March 5, 2020 2:22 pm  #2

Re: Former Global News guy, Leslie Roberts on air in Ottawa now!

He has been hosting CTV Morning Live in Ottawa for at least a year.

March 5, 2020 3:10 pm  #3

I wonder why so many cities across the country with CTV have their own morning shows. Ottawa, Calgary, Edmonton, Vancouver, Atlantic, Saskatoon, Winnipeg, Regina but nothing in Toronto.  All we get is the network morning show Your Morning. All of these cities also receive Your Morning on CTV News Channel. The local CTV stations all have individual local morning shows.  

I find the national show has way too much weather, and frankly who cares that Penticton is going to have  rain today when it is 6:10am in Ontario and 3:10am in Penticton.   BC is not watching Your Morning at that time of the day so why do they spend so much time with the weather out west?

March 5, 2020 3:50 pm  #4

paterson1 wrote:

I find the national show has way too much weather, and frankly who cares that Penticton is going to have  rain today when it is 6:10am in Ontario and 3:10am in Penticton.   BC is not watching Your Morning at that time of the day so why do they spend so much time with the weather out west?

Answer: It is cheap filler... no one required to write or vet copy, and no visuals to be sourced/edited (fewer beavers labouring in the pond = $$$ not being expended).  The live weather presenter just has to touch on the geographic areas, and speak a stream of consciousness...

March 5, 2020 6:29 pm  #5

Well it makes for a boring show. I know they expect people only to watch the program for 10-15 minutes in the morning but the weather is too prominent. Since we don't get our own local morning show like much of the rest of the country, at least they could focus on Ontario weather rather than the whole country all the time.  And I still find it strange that CTV is willing to spend the money on local morning shows in about 8 or 9 markets but nothing in Toronto.

Last edited by paterson1 (March 5, 2020 6:30 pm)

March 5, 2020 7:05 pm  #6

paterson1 wrote:

I wonder why so many cities across the country with CTV have their own morning shows. Ottawa, Calgary, Edmonton, Vancouver, Atlantic, Saskatoon, Winnipeg, Regina but nothing in Toronto.  All we get is the network morning show Your Morning. All of these cities also receive Your Morning on CTV News Channel. The local CTV stations all have individual local morning shows.  

CTV finally realized in 2011 that no one in the west wants to watch a stale 3-hour old Toronto-centric morning show, when there were higher-rating, live and local options from the competition (BCTV/ITV/Calgary 7/Global, and A-Channel/Citytv); Ottawa and Atlantic were relics from the CHUM days. 

Your Morning is seen on CTV Vancouver at 3 AM pacific time right before CTV Morning Live, but you're right - there is no point in focusing on BC weather at 6 AM Toronto time. Then again, CTV probably want Torontonians to go to CP24 for local news in the morning. 

March 5, 2020 7:42 pm  #7

paterson1 wrote:

I wonder why so many cities across the country with CTV have their own morning shows. Ottawa, Calgary, Edmonton, Vancouver, Atlantic, Saskatoon, Winnipeg, Regina but nothing in Toronto. 

In the case of Ottawa, it's because it's actually on CTV2, and it's that channel's only (mandated) local content. So the main network produces local 12, 6, and 11:30, and the secondary network covers mornings. They both stay in compliance while sharing facilities and staff.

March 7, 2020 10:17 am  #8

Will this have any implications real or imagined for "Bill the Shrill"?

March 9, 2020 8:33 am  #9

CTV News Ottawa did a big on air welcome for the former Global anchor. Not surprisingly, there's no mention of the somewhat unethical situation that led him to leave his past employer. And yes, Bill Carroll's name comes up at least once in the interview.

'Ottawa just got a new best friend': Ottawa at Work with Leslie Roberts debuts on 580 CFRA

[img]https://www.ctvnews.ca/polopoly_fs/1.4842365.1583525572!/httpImage/image.png_gen/derivatives/landscape_960/image.png[/img]

March 11, 2020 4:52 pm  #10

They're working this guy for S!X HOURS a day?  Lordy!   No one can maintain that pace for long.