sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 21, 2020 9:54 pm  #1

Ok, this has been on my mind lately...it is about the FAN 590

So, there have been 2 posts on the board over the last 2 days,one was that Ashley Docking was let go from her morning show co-host duties on the FAN590, (thanks TorontoMike)...the other was the Bobcat was stirring on Twitter.

I was having coffee on holiday Monday (Family Day) with a friend and a fellow sports fan. He and I were both chatting that we didn't enjoy the Tim and Sid show on radio at all and that we miss Bob McCown.

I would love Bob to come back, I find the Tim and Sid act to wear thin. The yelling, the fits of anger, the sound effects, it is enough to turn it off and keep it off...I don't know if anyone else shares these views...I give them credit for bringing something different to the table and I know they work hard, but the show sucks in my books and my friend agrees...

I miss the kind of show Prime Time was, it was smart, it wasn't noisy, loud and sometimes obnoxious...as I find the Tim and Sid show can be, a lot of times

If there was a substantial decrease in ratings and enough listeners petitioned for change...to bring back Bob, would management act on this?

That is my point...would management ever back track and admit they made a mistake? 

What say you? (as Oakley would say)

Last edited by Muffaraw Joe (February 21, 2020 9:55 pm)

The world would be so good if it weren't for some people...

February 21, 2020 10:09 pm  #2

Re: Ok, this has been on my mind lately...it is about the FAN 590

Good questions and overview Muffaraw. Well Rogers is obviously in cut back/save money mode right now, however they did admit a big error years ago and did bring back a show because of poor ratings and listener pressure.

Erin Davis was brought back because she was cleaning CHFI's clock in the morning after she was let go  and she moved to mornings at EZ Rock. Can't remember the PD at CHFI but she took responsibility for letting Erin go and said publicly it was a big mistake. And of course Erin came back along with Mike Cooper.  Roger Ashby and company were usually number one on CHUM FM but CHFI without Erin wasn't even in the running.

The audience did follow Erin down the dial to EZ Rock and then came back with her to CHFI. I believe the same happened with Don Daynard when he left CKFM and moved to CHFI, a lot of his listeners went with him down the street.

I agree Tim and Sid can be really annoying. I know some people don't always like Jay and Dan on TSN but at least they are funny (or try to be), and are reasonably entertaining..

February 22, 2020 12:32 am  #3

Muffaraw Joe wrote:

.. I miss the kind of show Prime Time was, it was smart, it wasn't noisy, loud and sometimes obnoxious...as I find the Tim and Sid show can be, a lot of times ..  

No surprise to anyone .. what some like, others detest. 

Tim & Sid obnoxious? .. to me, Bob-M's middle name is obnoxious.

But either way, won't effect me ... i'll continue to spend my time with the guys on OverDrive.

February 22, 2020 2:54 am  #4

paterson1 wrote:

Can't remember the PD at CHFI but she took responsibility for letting Erin go and said publicly it was a big mistake. 

Julie Adam. Still with Rogers today. 

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

February 25, 2020 12:35 am  #5

Radiowiz wrote:

paterson1 wrote:

Can't remember the PD at CHFI but she took responsibility for letting Erin go and said publicly it was a big mistake. 

Julie Adam. Still with Rogers today. 

And was promoted to senior vice president of Rogers Radio, as dozens of other people across the country lost their jobs to make up for the tanking morning show revenue in Toronto. 

Imagine a doctor cutting a leg off a patient by accident, resulting in other people in the operating room being fired, and the doctor who botched the operation being promoted to head surgeon. 

Last edited by Prod Guy (February 25, 2020 12:42 am)

February 25, 2020 1:22 am  #6

g121 wrote:

Muffaraw Joe wrote:

.. I miss the kind of show Prime Time was, it was smart, it wasn't noisy, loud and sometimes obnoxious...as I find the Tim and Sid show can be, a lot of times ..  

No surprise to anyone .. what some like, others detest. 

Tim & Sid obnoxious? .. to me, Bob-M's middle name is obnoxious.

But either way, won't effect me ... i'll continue to spend my time with the guys on OverDrive.

I'm with you g121, Hayes, Noodles, and O with all 1050's excellent analysts, Ray Ferraro, Jonas etc. are infinitely better than anything on 590.

Except for maybe two things. One, the hour of Hockey Central on Fridays when Jeff Marek, Burkie and assorted former players chew on the news in hockey world. And two, Steve Dangle, who's consistently put in the effort for the last five years and knows his audience. His LFR was trending #1 on Saturday after, well, let's not speak of that game again...

Could the big yellow board try to imagine this: The Bob McCown, Greg Brady Morning Show on the Fan 590! Snowballs chance, but I wonder what it would sound like ....

Last edited by betaylored (February 25, 2020 1:42 am)

February 25, 2020 9:24 pm  #7

Tim and Sid had a funny bit on today with Marc Spears. Beware of graduation photos!! 
https://www.sportsnet.ca/basketball/nba/marc-spears-absolutely-roasts-old-graduation-photo-sid-seixeiro/