sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 19, 2020 11:59 am  #1

CN Tower: The World's Tallest Broadcast Antenna

O.K. that title may be a bit of an exaggeration, but I was asked by a poster to put up this informative new video about the building that currently serves as the originating point for so many Toronto radio and TV signals. Most of the video is a pretty elaborate retelling of how the tower was made. The part about the antenna arrays comes toward the tail end, around the 24 minute mark. Worth a look if this kind of thing interests you. 

February 19, 2020 12:05 pm  #2

Re: CN Tower: The World's Tallest Broadcast Antenna

Almost forgot about this. It's an article that appeared in the North American TV Guide about the tower way back in 1976. If you click on the image, you'll be taken to a site where you can make it larger and easier to read. 

February 19, 2020 12:30 pm  #3

Great post!

Always facinated myself with the tower.  Its sheer size and engineering is amazing and im lucky to work right next to it so I always give it a glance looking up.   

If you have Facebook and type in the searches things like "cn tower antenna/transmitter etc"  and go to photo posts, you will sometimes see engineers post pictures of the transmitter levels.   The wizardry that is up there is intense especially the mast.  Its quite a mess of cables and conduits high in the sky.  

I wonder if there is any possible way to go on an inside tour of level 5 and 6 and entrance of mast with an individual that is allowed. 

Last edited by markow202 (February 19, 2020 12:40 pm)

February 19, 2020 2:40 pm  #4