sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 30, 2020 10:43 pm  #1

BBC cuts 450 employees and re-vamps the news department...

It seems cuts and that media outlets are forced to make major re-alignments is not exclusive to Canada...

We have seen massive cuts at I-Heart Radio in the U.S. and Bell made more cuts in November, the CBC announced layoffs too for this month...and today, the BBC announced some major re-structuring of the news department...

I am wondering what the media landscape will look like in 3-5 years time?

Here is more on this story...

https://www.pressgazette.co.uk/bbc-news-cut-450-jobs-major-restructure-modernise-newsroom-newsnight-radio/

Comment about your take on what the media will be like in 3-5 years time, do you feel it will be more about narrowcasting versus broadcasting?

I feel broadcasting schools will need to teach grads about how to monetize doing podcasts and YouTube channels...

The world would be so good if it weren't for some people...

January 31, 2020 4:07 pm  #2

Re: BBC cuts 450 employees and re-vamps the news department...

Amazing, had no idea that BBC's news department had 6,000 employees and of those 1,700 located outside of the UK.  BBC World is a good network and I am finding I am watching it more and more. Really like the BBC reporting which is non judgemental and straight forward. Our networks sometimes are like this, sadly often they are not.  Global, CBC, City, CTV  should really take a page from "the Beebs,"

Media in 3-5 years? The narrowcasting will continue to grow but like anything else will also become overdone and lost in the mix.  Podcasters will get more outrageous for attention and to stand out. A hint for podcasters, please learn to edit your programs. Nobody has time to listen to a 2 hour and 20 minute interview will a bunch of happy talk and small talk chit chat that is wasting everyone's time. Edit all of that out and get the podcasts down to a more reasonable time. You are losing fans with the long meandering casts.

Broadcasters if they are smart and if they can, get more local!  Having your on air talent yapping about everything that was on TMZ last night is old news and does not need to be repeated over and over.  Fine to reference all of this, but it should not be the basis of half the breaks in a morning or afternoon show. And be brief, breaks about Pink, Jonas Bros. or Billie Eilish do not need to be 4-5 minutes long. Boring...Get interested in your community again, TMZ will never be talking about Hamilton or Waterloo, but you should be, if that is where you are!  Being local does not mean amateurish or second rate, and you are offering something that all the other out of market stations are not.

February 3, 2020 12:24 pm  #3

And just to add insult to injury, as the cuts are going on, the British government is raising the cost of a TV licence, which must be paid by anyone in the U.K. who owns a "telly." The new price starting in April: $272 Cdn. a year. (I never knew there was once a radio licence as well, but the article says it was eliminated  in 1971,)

Cost of TV Licence to go up, says BBC

February 3, 2020 11:26 pm  #4

paterson1 wrote:

Amazing, had no idea that BBC's news department had 6,000 employees and of those 1,700 located outside of the UK.  BBC World is a good network and I am finding I am watching it more and more. Really like the BBC reporting which is non judgemental and straight forward. Our networks sometimes are like this, sadly often they are not.  Global, CBC, City, CTV  should really take a page from "the Beebs,"

Media in 3-5 years? The narrowcasting will continue to grow but like anything else will also become overdone and lost in the mix.  Podcasters will get more outrageous for attention and to stand out. A hint for podcasters, please learn to edit your programs. Nobody has time to listen to a 2 hour and 20 minute interview will a bunch of happy talk and small talk chit chat that is wasting everyone's time. Edit all of that out and get the podcasts down to a more reasonable time. You are losing fans with the long meandering casts.

Broadcasters if they are smart and if they can, get more local!  Having your on air talent yapping about everything that was on TMZ last night is old news and does not need to be repeated over and over.  Fine to reference all of this, but it should not be the basis of half the breaks in a morning or afternoon show. And be brief, breaks about Pink, Jonas Bros. or Billie Eilish do not need to be 4-5 minutes long. Boring...Get interested in your community again, TMZ will never be talking about Hamilton or Waterloo, but you should be, if that is where you are!  Being local does not mean amateurish or second rate, and you are offering something that all the other out of market stations are not.

I would be more concerned with being relevant than local.  Many people aren't interested in the community outside their door, they're focused on their community online.  Food gets delivered, movies are watched on Netflix at home, and your friends live on your device.  Most people in the city don't know the neighbour two doors down.