sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 3, 2020 12:46 pm  #1

Could This "Wallpaper" Antenna Improve Radio Reception?

I frequently display my ignorance here, and this occasion is no different. I don't know a lot about the minutiae of radio signals but I came across this story about a new "wallpaper antenna" development from MIT that promises to boost radio reception for things like cellular and wi-fi signals. The thing works by allowing those signals into a room and then boosting and redirecting them with a stronger power into a device. 

My question: could this be used for regular AM & FM signals as well if it ever came to pass? Or is just for those operating on a different frequency? Only a radio fanatic would admit this but I'd gladly change my wallpaper for better over-the-air reception!

Wallpaper-like surface could boost radio signals tenfold

February 3, 2020 1:46 pm  #2

Re: Could This "Wallpaper" Antenna Improve Radio Reception?

I dont know if im confused but it seems its just an antenna and a booster amp?

I recently plugged in my UHF outdoor antenna for the tv into my Yamaha Receiver FM cable input and that drastically improved reception especially for distant signals. 

February 3, 2020 3:49 pm  #3

Re: Could This "Wallpaper" Antenna Improve Radio Reception?

markow202 wrote:

I dont know if im confused but it seems its just an antenna and a booster amp?

I recently plugged in my UHF outdoor antenna for the tv into my Yamaha Receiver FM cable input and that drastically improved reception especially for distant signals. 

Anything can be an antenna in a pinch.

On the morning of September 11, 2001 everyone at my office was freaking out and the internet, which was slow AF back then, was lagging and pages were taking forever to load and crashing etc. I went to a meeting room and grabbed this A/V cart which has a TV and VCR on it and wheeled it out to the common area and plugged it in. No signal. We did not have cable or anything. I straightened out a paper clip and popped it in the coax plug - bingo, CBLT channel 5! This was at 105 Adelaide Street West, in the shadow of the CN Tower.