sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 2, 2020 5:35 pm  #1

Forget CanCon Netflix Tax. This Is “News” You Should Worry About

I’ve been meaning to post this for a few days, but a lot of other things got in the way. But it’s way too important and disturbing not to at least mention it for those who didn’t see it.

For the past week, many here – including yours truly – had our attention focused on a new proposed Canadian Communications overhaul that would see the introduction of a so-called Netflix tax and the proposal to mandate Canadian Content for foreign online services that do business in this country. That met with various opinions pro and con and both sides made good points.

But what’s buried in the report and is only starting to get noticed is truly alarming. Among the recommendations is one that I’m pretty sure everyone here will have a big problem with: allowing the federal government to vet – and censor – almost anything anyone posts on the web, including news.

And no, you didn’t misread that. As noted in an opinion piece in the Globe and Mail by former CRTC Commissioner Peter Menzies:

“…if you transmit, for commercial purposes, words, video or voice through the internet, text messages, fax or phone line, you will do so only with permission of a federal agency.

“That’s right: After more than a century of non-interference in speech through telecommunications, it is suggested that the state will determine what constitutes news and, when the proposed objectives of the act are included, “trusted” news.

“That indicates that the content of virtually every online information entity – magazines, newspapers, subscription newsletters, real estate listings, travel advisories, weather reports, relationship advice, think-tank analyses, craft beer reviews and the latest Ukrainian borscht recipe – may be subject to the stern eye of what assumedly will be thousands of Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission bureaucrats.”

And it’s not just Menzies. Communications lawyer Michael Geist has raised the alarm over the proposals. So has Jonathan Kay in the National Post.

From Geist’s site:

“The panel’s vision is to create a Canadian regulatory framework that knows no physical boundaries – the CRTC empowered to apply its power to any site or service anywhere in the world used by Canadians – and with few limitations as the regulator would dive deeply into mandated payments, what content is displayed, what news can be trusted, and what Canadians view or download.”

Needless to say, this idea is not only unprecedented, it’s downright Orwellian. So who gets to decide what’s "acceptable news" on the web in Canada? There are hints that the chore could be turned over to a CBC-type panel, which is equally frightening.

Many here already expressed unease with the previously announced government plan to give millions of taxpayer dollars to “save newspapers,” even if it could call those publications' objectivity into question.

This is even worse. The good news is that so far, these are only recommendations and are unlikely to ever come to pass. And the courts would almost certainly strike them down as completely unconstitutional if they ever did try to make them the law of the land.

I know Justin Trudeau once famously said he admired the Chinese government's 'ability to get things done.' Let’s just hope he and his minions don’t try to prove it by adopting any of these idiotic ideas. Or you won't be reading about it here. 

Or anywhere.

February 3, 2020 12:53 am  #2

Re: Forget CanCon Netflix Tax. This Is “News” You Should Worry About

Conservative opinion writers are speculating that they won't like what the other party will do?  Unprecedented!
I'll wait for the facts, thanks.

February 3, 2020 1:20 am  #3

But it's not just Conservatives. Many others on the radio, including CFRB's John Moore (hardly a Tory supporter) have had issues with this since it came out last week. 

I watched Evan Solomon - once a CBC reporter - on CTV's Question Period Sunday trying repeatedly to get a straight answer out of Steven Guilbeault, the Heritage Minister. It was like trying to pin Jello to the wall. He danced, skipped, obfuscated and like politicians of all parties, managed to dodge the question over and over for about five minutes. At no time did he say he wouldn't consider implementing the idea, although he also didn't commit to it. 

To his credit, Solomon tried to get an answer out of him and it was clear that the host wasn't comfortable with what the proposal entails. It's unimportant if you're left or right on this. ANY government suggesting control on what constitutes "news" and what doesn't should make every Canadian - and especially every Canadian broadcaster - extremely nervous. 

Fortunately, I'm betting it will never see the light of day. Still, just the fact that it was put forward at all is troubling.

February 3, 2020 9:41 am  #4

A film producer also issues a warning about the provisions in this document. In addition to worries about news content, he complains about how crazy the rules for defining what counts as Can Con is - and why he fears it will just get worse. It comes as he prepares to shoot a film that's filled with Canadian content - but likely won't be allowed to be called that. And you may not believe the reasons why. 

You can read this eye opening piece at FYImusicnews.ca here

February 3, 2020 10:06 am  #5

RadioActive wrote:

I know Justin Trudeau once famously said he admired the Chinese government's 'ability to get things done.' 

Surely a sign he's a raving communist despot bent on censoring the media.  And then there was the horrible election scandal over Andrew Scheers love for fortune cookies said to have cost him the election.

February 3, 2020 10:15 am  #6

I'm trying to keep this topic as non-partisan as possible, which I realize is tough to do in this context.

My point is that whatever party might be in charge and thought these recommendations were good ideas, this is a dangerous direction to head in. I would object if the Conservatives, the NDP or the Greens had the helm. And I hope the current government has the good sense not to go down this road.

No matter who thought this up, letting any ruling body decide what's allowed as "news" is just a terrible and dangerous idea. And it's not the kind of country I thought I'd ever have to think about living in.

February 3, 2020 2:11 pm  #7

After his less than impressive appearance on Question Period Sunday, in which Canada's Heritage Minister seemed to be leaning towards putting licensing requirements on all Internet and news sites you can access in this country, the you-know-what must have hit the fan in the intervening 24 hours. 

And that may explain why Steven Guilbeault walked out in front of the very reporters he was seeking to "licence" and walked back everything he said on CTV, indicating his government has "no intention to impose licensing requirements on news organizations” or trying to licence content. 

Given everything that this portends, let's hope he's telling the truth this time. 

And for those who think this is all about the party currently in charge, I would remind them that one day, the government will inevitably change. Do you really want the Conservatives or the NDP to have this power? The truth is, none of them should. 

Heritage minister says Canadian government has ‘no intention’ to regulate news content