sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 1, 2020 8:53 pm  #31

Re: Netflix, CanCon & Ad-Free CBC: Legislative Review Panel

We can split hairs all day what cancon is or should be.  Naturally there is a lot shot here that isn't Canadian in the storyline or even setting, but who cares? Every movie shot here or that qualifies for a tax break does not need to be about Canada.  These productions are using Canadian crews, talent and locations and spending a lot of money for the local economy.  Hollywood has always stood in for someplace else ever since the early days of movie making. However having said that, there are many shows that are set in Canada (like mentioned above) and are streamed in the US. And there will be more to come.

Netflix, Disney, CBS Access and others have already set up studios and offices here, and hired staff  Tax breaks for movie and tv production is not unique to Ontario, BC, Alberta or Quebec.  Georgia, NY City & State, Illinois, Michigan, Washington state and I am sure many others all have  big incentives and tax breaks available for movie and TV productions. And we can't overlook the fact that the low Canadian dollar also is a big incentive too. So even though some of the states have more attractive incentives than we offer, our lower dollar and experienced crews often make the difference.

Last edited by paterson1 (February 1, 2020 9:00 pm)

February 1, 2020 9:11 pm  #32

paterson1 wrote:

Tax breaks for movie and tv production is not unique to Ontario, BC, Alberta or Quebec.  Georgia, NY City & State, Illinois, Michigan, Washington state and I am sure many others all have  big incentives and tax breaks available for movie and TV productions.

Quite right and even California is spending more tax dollars to bring new productions back to the Hollywood studios.

https://trekmovie.com/2018/12/10/star-trek-picard-show-to-film-in-california/

February 1, 2020 10:17 pm  #33

paterson1 wrote:

Thanks mace! I pretty much like all radio. Tuned in WJJL this morning but all the music was Italian, looks like they have a lot of block programming too. I will go again in the evening sometime.

But one of the best oldies stations around is our buddy Dale Patterson's Oh Wow! Songs That Radio Forgot. Love all of the lesser, forgotten hits and lots of good ol' cancon too!  His station just keeps getting better and better! Keep up the great work Dale!  

Thank you, Mr. Paterson.

https://live365.com/station/Oh-Wow--The-Songs-Radio-Forgot-a68406

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram