sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 28, 2020 8:29 pm  #1

WABC Great Harry Harrison Is Gone At 89

I know this is a local radio board but Harry Harrison was a legendary figure in North American radio and the only jock to have worked at WMCA, WABC and WCBS-FM in New York, the world's biggest radio market. His last years were spent in some tragedy - he outlived his wife, and two of his children. Two others survive him.

Harrison was 89.

Longtime New York DJ Harry Harrison dead at 89

The Great Harry Harrison Has Died  

January 28, 2020 10:34 pm  #2

Re: WABC Great Harry Harrison Is Gone At 89

He was also the only jock to be a "Good Guy" at WMCA and an "All-American" at WABC.

* Herb Oscar Anderson jocked at WMCA before the "Good Guy" era then moved to WABC as an "All-American."

Last edited by Dale Patterson (January 28, 2020 10:35 pm)

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

January 28, 2020 11:53 pm  #3

I had never heard "May You Always" until now.  A beautiful sentiment and recording.

January 29, 2020 7:39 am  #4

Media Observer wrote:

I had never heard "May You Always" until now.  A beautiful sentiment and recording.

It peaked @ #11 in early 1959.    

When 1050 CHUM was promoting its "you have a say in the music we play" baloney (after its short-lived sports era) I requested it and was told "listeners don't want to hear the McGuire Sisters".    

Maybe listeners are ready for it now.     Neil Hedley and Freddy Vette are you out there?

geo

January 29, 2020 9:31 pm  #5

Two wonderful revelations in the New York Times obit on the late morning man. 

-He originally wanted to become a priest as a teenager and had actually joined a seminary. But he was kept home for nearly a year by rheumatic fever and listened to the radio to fill the time. It was then he fell in love with the medium and decided he wanted to work in it. 

-His last gig was at WCBS-FM, 101.1 on the dial. His death certificate lists his time of death as 1:01 PM.