sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 28, 2020 3:05 pm  #1

Evan Solomon’s Mom Calls Up To Criticize Him Live On Air

What a hilarious moment on Bell’s Evan Solomon Show on Tuesday, when the host’s mother called up and chewed him out on air for what she perceived as his many mistakes.

She got on him for dropping his “g’s” at the end of some words, for calling his audience “folks,” for not being nicer to a guest and for the way he dresses during his TV appearances.

And it wasn’t faked – she was completely sincere and the entire segment was pretty charming. Solomon reveals she sends him emails during his show everyday to tell him what she doesn’t like. It was so much fun, I wish it were a regular segment.

My late mom never did that for me during my brief time on air – but I do remember one day doing an interview with the owner of a brothel in Las Vegas that got somewhat graphic, and hoping she wasn’t listening!

January 28, 2020 10:41 pm  #2

Re: Evan Solomon’s Mom Calls Up To Criticize Him Live On Air

Knowing Evan's mom, (it's my brother-in-laws Aunt) I am not surprised, she is a kind, elegant caring woman...but strong too!

Good for her...

My mom came to the studio when I was on air and couldn't believe the technology and how computers played a big part in how the show went...

Truth is, I am amazed about how technology can have a little radio station beam across the world by streaming and or podcasting online...it really is amazing when you think about it.

Here is to mom's everywhere and how they have influenced us.

The world would be so good if it weren't for some people...

January 29, 2020 7:53 am  #3

Sounds like Evan's Mom would have made a great program director.  The dropping of the "g's" really bothers me on both TV and Radio.  Also I was once told by a PD that saying the word "folks"  made the individual listener feel you were talking to a group of people and not just them individually.  I have been guilty of using the word "folks" many times in my career.  Thought it sounded "folksy."  : >)

January 29, 2020 9:24 am  #4

Sounded like a fun segment. I always get a kick out of the "calling parents/family members on-air" segments because the family members are typically no-holds-barred about saying what they really think. I believe Jeremy Taggart (previously "Our Lady Peace" drummer) used to do this with his Dad semi-regularly when he was doing the "Taggart and Torrens" podcast with Jonathan O. Torrens. Jim Richards on 1010 occasionally does this with, I think, a brother or father (one of whom is a minister if I recall?). And Pay Chen on her past radio show used to do this with her old-school Dad and Mom occasionally.

January 29, 2020 1:06 pm  #5

Mike Bullard's mom was the best.

January 29, 2020 2:54 pm  #6

Hilarious! 

Along with her on-air advice  I hope Momma also passed along some good genes to her son:  Bell is working him like a rented mule!

January 30, 2020 2:28 am  #7