sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 27, 2020 2:24 pm  #1

Some Really Stupid Questions About Some Current Radio Spots

While I often tune them out, there are some recent radio spots that stick with me – and not always for the right reasons. Here are a couple of innocent tongue-in-cheek questions about a few of them that are running right now.

1) The Ratings Race Heats Up

While my old P.D.s always stressed that every day is a ratings day, I’m assuming there’s either a major survey on right now or about to be undertaken. How else to explain the sudden reappearance of those Numeris commercials on every station, stressing “You‘ve got to take that call.” It’s been many months since they last aired and the timing can’t be coincidental.

2) Could Somebody “Junk” This Claim?

I notice the laughing hyena lady is back in those 1-800-GOT-JUNK commercials, but that’s not what grabs my attention about this spot. Instead it’s the ludicrous claim that “We’ll be there before you hang up the phone.” I realize commercial copy is prone to exaggeration, but unless they keep you talking or on hold for an hour, or you live right next door to where the trucks are parked, this appears to be outright false advertising. It can't possibly be true.

3) Sock It To Me Time

The ridiculous spot asking about whether socks and sandals go together and the horrified sound effects that accompany it is an insult to these ears. Whatever you think of this fashion issue, it hardly deserves the sound of approbation that greets the question. I would think there are more important things in the world to worry about. And worse yet, that reaction is so distracting, I can't even tell you who the spot is for.   

4) Weather Or Not

Finally, has there ever been a SUNNY day in Pizzaville?   

January 27, 2020 10:21 pm  #2

Re: Some Really Stupid Questions About Some Current Radio Spots

RadioActive wrote:

Finally, has there ever been a SUNNY day in Pizzaville?   

Consider it their calling cliche card along the lines of "It was a dark and stormy night".

January 27, 2020 10:35 pm  #3

RadioActive wrote:

While I often tune them out, there are some recent radio spots that stick with me – and not always for the right reasons. Here are a couple of innocent tongue-in-cheek questions about a few of them that are running right now.

While my old P.D.s always stressed that every day is a ratings day, I’m assuming there’s either a major survey on right now or about to be undertaken. How else to explain the sudden reappearance of those Numeris commercials on every station, stressing “You‘ve got to take that call.” It’s been many months since they last aired and the timing can’t be coincidental.

We're about a month away from the Spring book, but Numeris doesn't change panels at the start of each book - it's a continuous sample, with meter holders dropping in and out as needed. Either they've run in to a recruiting lull, or they're reaping the rewards of the slowest ad-month of the year, so there's just more room for the spots.

January 28, 2020 9:46 am  #4

RadioAaron wrote:

RadioActive wrote:

We're about a month away from the Spring book, but Numeris doesn't change panels at the start of each book - it's a continuous sample, with meter holders dropping in and out as needed. Either they've run in to a recruiting lull, or they're reaping the rewards of the slowest ad-month of the year, so there's just more room for the spots.

That's certainly possible, but it's also the case that we're going into the traditional February Sweeps on broadcast TV that could be behind the increased focused on what and who Numeris is. (The ad, which is running on radio, pointedly mentions TV in the copy.)

The sweeps have been around since the old Hooper ratings in the 50s and even though the landscape of broadcasting has changed forever, these somewhat outdated ratings periods (traditionally in November, February and May and to a lesser extent, July) are still with us. With streaming services in many cases making all shows available at once, it's increasingly becoming a relic from the past. But every year, the networks save their best for these months, stunting with specials and ensuring regular series have "special episodes" with no reruns, 

And I suspect this coming February won't be any exception. Perhaps that partially explains the sudden resurgence in the Numeris ads.

January 28, 2020 3:21 pm  #5

And there's a newish insurance spot that's using Supertramp's "Dreamer" in fits and starts throughout the copy... I kinda like the song but this won't help insure that I continue to...

Also, could lazy creators stop using Debussy's "Claire de Lune" and New Order's "Blue Monday" as music beds in spots 🤨

Has the reign of "My Pillow" ended? 🤞

January 28, 2020 3:57 pm  #6

Then there's the new Tim Horton's doughnut spot that uses "You Make My Dreams Come True," the old Hall & Oates song. I wonder how much the rights are to get these tunes and whether it's ultimately worth the expense. 

January 28, 2020 4:13 pm  #7

Remember, there are no really stupid questions (words to that effect) -- Aaron Waxman (no relation to E. Aaron Presley)

January 28, 2020 4:22 pm  #8

It has always astounded me that when so much of a radio station's hour is made up of commercials so much drek gets on the air.  It was always thus.  When PDs bitched and moaned about having to play a Canadian record (Chester's one hit was less than 2 minutes, IIRC) they would turn a deaf ear to what was being churned out by copywriters they begrudged paying $75 a week. Wailing and gnashing of  teeth for a 2-minute record. Twenty minutes of real tune-outs: meh.

Look, I get it, not every commercial can be the St Crispin's Day speech, but crikey!  Won't somebody think of the children? .

Sales rep:  This could be a big sponsor for us!
Copy dude: OK,  we'll do a 2-voicer.

Last edited by potentiometer (January 28, 2020 6:02 pm)

January 28, 2020 4:23 pm  #9

And every time I hear, "There are no stupid questions," I think, "Just stupid answers."

January 28, 2020 4:34 pm  #10

RadioActive wrote:

2) Could Somebody “Junk” This Claim?

It’s the ludicrous claim that “We’ll be there before you hang up the phone.” I realize commercial copy is prone to exaggeration, but unless they keep you talking or on hold for an hour, or you live right next door to where the trucks are parked, this appears to be outright false advertising. It can't possibly be true.

Just heard a new version of this spot that says "we'll be there within 90 minutes." Apparently, I wasn't the only one who noticed this. That timeframe, at least, sounds reasonable.  

January 28, 2020 6:28 pm  #11

January 28, 2020 7:30 pm  #12

RadioActive wrote:

RadioAaron wrote:

RadioActive wrote:

That's certainly possible, but it's also the case that we're going into the traditional February Sweeps on broadcast TV that could be behind the increased focused on what and who Numeris is. (The ad, which is running on radio, pointedly mentions TV in the copy.)

I believe (but don't know and am welcome to be corrected) that TV works the same as radio, and that the measurement is continuous and panel changeover doesn't happen to coincide with periods that are considered more important. 

Edit: Reached out to someone who actually does know, and not only are they treated the same, it's actually the same panel rating TV and Radio at any given time, so recruitment is continuous for both.

Last edited by RadioAaron (January 28, 2020 7:46 pm)