sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 23, 2020 1:37 pm  #1

The Stories Behind Those Iconic Rock Album Covers

Saw this on the Oldies Board and thought I'd share it here. This week's episode of CBC Radio's "Under The Influence" tells the stories behind some of the most iconic artwork on some of the most famous LPs in music history.

Among the tales: how The Beatles designed the Sgt. Pepper's cover, the bizarre background to Pink Floyd's "Animals" LP - and why it wound up stopping flights at Heathrow Airport - and why the Rolling Stones' Sticky Fingers cover was forced to be sold with the zipper halfway down. 

I knew some of these stories but it was fun to hear them again along with a few I'd never heard before. Part two on the effects of album art in CDs and mp3s airs next Thursday. The show repeats on Saturdays at 11:30 AM or you can listen to it now online. 

The stories behind those iconic album covers

January 25, 2020 7:41 pm  #2

Re: The Stories Behind Those Iconic Rock Album Covers

Listened to most of it and enjoyed it, natch. Some addendum - I was under the impression that the Beatles were inspired to do the Sgt Peppers gatefold because of 'Freak Out' (and Frank Zappa responded with the cover for 'We're Only in it for the Money').

January 26, 2020 7:22 am  #3

Re: The Stories Behind Those Iconic Rock Album Covers

Terry O'Reilly's CBC Radio One Under the Influence programs are (regardless of the subject he targets) simply wonderful