sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 17, 2020 10:09 am  #1

J. Robert Wood On His Career & Life Before CHUM

FYImusicnews.ca has a great interview with former CHUM programming genius J. Robert Wood, who talks about his first radio jobs, the changes he made to help save CHUM from challengers like CKFH and how their contests changed the entire phone system across part of North America. 

"I arrived at CHUM on Valentine’s Day in 1968...I always found the station to be very hokey sounding, with a poor technical sound, weak format execution and several jocks whose sound was not suited to Top 40.

"
Before we knew it, Foster Hewitt’s CKFH had begun to make inroads. We responded by making sweeping changes in personnel, format design, contests and promotions and news.  Our goal was to remake the sound into a fast, hip, and high-energy operation that was fun to listen to. Thanks to the help of a dynamic staff, we succeeded in turning back CKFH and building one of broadcasting's great radio stations."

A Conversation With J. Robert Wood

January 17, 2020 12:22 pm  #2

Re: J. Robert Wood On His Career & Life Before CHUM

J. Robert Wood is a great guy, and a superb programmer - one of the best-ever if not THE best in Canadian radio. He did the right thing in moving CHUM to a more streamlined format in 1968. To be perfectly honest, I was a little disappointed when the change came. I loved the antics of Brian Skinner in the evening, the personable approach of John Spragge, Bob Laine, Duff Roman. But the times they were a' changin' - and CHUM under J. Robert Wood became one of the greatest Top 40 stations in North America. It didn't take long before I really loved it - how could you not? Here's a sample of J. Robert Wood's CHUM. Radio magic - and Tom Rivers is on fire!

http://rockradioscrapbook.ca/chum-rivers-apr29-70.mp3

Last edited by Dale Patterson (January 17, 2020 12:23 pm)

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram