sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 16, 2020 1:41 pm  #1

Toronto AM Station Seeking Power Boost

I'm pretty sure most of us here have never listened to (or maybe even been aware of) CHHA-AM, the Spanish language outlet at 1610 on the so-called X-band. But it's asked the CRTC for a power boost, complaining the signal isn't reaching areas of the GTA that have been most identified with speaking that language.

It's currently broadcasting at 6,250 watts and wants that upped to 10K day and night so it can reach farther, especially after sunset. 

Toronto has three X-band stations, all ethnic and all of which cater to a relatively small diverse audience. One thing I didn't know when I read their application is that they currently share antenna space with another station almost no one is aware of - CJRU, the ultra low power broadcaster at 1280 AM, which is run by Ryerson University at only 99 watts. Their power won't be affected by the change, should it be granted.      

January 16, 2020 6:16 pm  #2

Re: Toronto AM Station Seeking Power Boost

With its 6.25 KW, CHHA is regularly listenable at night, sometimes at suburban quality, in Port Huron MI. 1650 and 1690 are also regular visitors, although with noticeably weaker signals.