sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 8, 2020 5:32 pm  #1

News Trifecta

65 Canadians killed in a plane crash in the capital city of one of the world's hottest spots; POTUS talks to his people about how he added to the heat there last week and an active shooter in Ottawa. I haven`t been near a radio all day.  How did we do?

January 8, 2020 7:34 pm  #2

Re: News Trifecta

a) The usual amount of tragedy-milking. I shudder to think of the impending 'HOW DO YOU FEEEEEEL?' interviews with victims' friends and family.
b) The usual armchair expertise from punditry.
c) Fairly concise and accurate coverage from what I had heard.

January 9, 2020 12:05 am  #3

What struck me most was watching the U.S. network morning shows. There were 176 people killed in a plane crash and that is almost always the lede. But not on Wednesday. Instead, all of the Big 3 (NBC's Today, ABC's GMA, and CBS This Morning) did a rehash of the attack on the compound, in which no one was killed.

It would appear that when not a single American dies in a plane tragedy, it ceases to be seen quite as important south of the border.

January 9, 2020 2:04 am  #4

That's odd.  All three had the crash on their radio networks this morning with CBS News Radio even giving the number of Canadians on board.

January 9, 2020 2:11 am  #5

I was looking at CNN's site yesterday morning at about 8 and they mentioned the 63 Canadians dead in the plane crash. But I couldn't find a single mention of it at any of the Canadian sites I went to. Couldn't believe they were all so far behind the story.

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

January 9, 2020 8:34 am  #6

Prod Guy wrote:

That's odd.  All three had the crash on their radio networks this morning with CBS News Radio even giving the number of Canadians on board.

Sorry, I probably wasn't clear in my post. It's not that they didn't cover it - it was the second item - it's that it wasn't placed first in their line-up. Normally, if 176 people are killed in a plane crash, that leads every newscast. Instead, they chose the Iranian missile attack on an air base, in which no one was hurt. I was questioning their priorities.

The only conclusion that makes sense is that no Americans were on board that doomed plane - and thus the AmNets didn't think it was as important. It tells you something about how their producers think.

January 9, 2020 9:50 am  #7

Dale Patterson wrote:

I was looking at CNN's site yesterday morning at about 8 and they mentioned the 63 Canadians dead in the plane crash. But I couldn't find a single mention of it at any of the Canadian sites I went to. Couldn't believe they were all so far behind the story.

That's really strange because I saw the first word of the story just after 6am on both CP24 and CBC News with Heather Hiscox.  I remember this since I am not usually up watching these channels at 6am.  Neither had much detail but they both had the crash and that 63 Canadians had been killed.  Odd then why the website had nothing.

This morning on CNN I didn't see anything on the crash.  Watched for about 10 minutes after 8am and there was nothing. They may have had something later however.

January 9, 2020 1:37 pm  #8

paterson1 wrote:

Dale Patterson wrote:

That's really strange because I saw the first word of the story just after 6am on both CP24 and CBC News with Heather Hiscox.  I remember this since I am not usually up watching these channels at 6am.  Neither had much detail but they both had the crash and that 63 Canadians had been killed.  Odd then why the website had nothing.

This morning on CNN I didn't see anything on the crash.  Watched for about 10 minutes after 8am and there was nothing. They may have had something later however.

Right now CNN's focus is not on the victims of the crash, but the reason for the crash (suspicions are growing that the Iran may have accidently shot down the plane). It's the reverse here, because there were so many Canadians killed. Either way, it's a dreadful, heartbreaking story.

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram