sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 3, 2020 11:36 pm  #1

Identifying CHUM bits

found these in my dads garage..... anyone have any background??

January 4, 2020 12:00 am  #2

Re: Identifying CHUM bits

According to wiki, the CHUM Starsign promotion was in 1976. You would wear your CHUM Starsign button or sticker and if a CHUM Starsign Spotter saw someone wearing their starsign they would win money, concert tickets or a variety of prizes. The CHUM spotters could be anywhere, and I believe  the CHUM jocks would let people know that the Starsign spotter would be out on Yonge St. this afternoon or at Yorkdale Mall etc. The Starsign spotters would always record the moment of winning and this would be included in promos for the contest. I wouldn't say it was as big as the  world famous "I listen to CHUM" phone promo from the early 70's but the CHUM Starsign was pretty big and likely lasted about a year altogether. And yes when you went to Toronto, especially downtown you would see some people wearing their CHUM Starsign. So your dad was in good company!

Last edited by paterson1 (January 4, 2020 12:01 am)

January 4, 2020 12:16 am  #3

Just noticed on eBay that CHUM Starsign buttons are going for about $18 Canadian. 

January 4, 2020 1:39 am  #4

$18.00 Canadian you say.  Wahoo.  That means I've got $216.00 as I have all 12.  Not selling them however.

January 4, 2020 8:13 pm  #5

I remember promo people from CHUM visiting our high school in Newmarket handing out these buttons.   Long line ups to get one.   As I remember CFTR was running a similar promo around the same time.  Their buttons were white background, red lettering.   If you had done a poll at our school at the time it was a 2:1 at least ratio for the CHUM buttons.

January 5, 2020 4:07 pm  #6

CFTR had the $30,000 button and you are right this contest was run at the same time as the CHUM Starsigns. On eBay the CFTR button is asking $9.99 Canadian. CHUM's buttons are more stylish, full colour and come in all the signs of the zodiac where TR's was a one style white button with red lettering.

There is an aircheck around of a CFTR announcer  phoning a listener live for a CFTR contest and the listener answering the phone live on air with "I listen to CHUM"... really funny and the jock on TR handled the embarrassing situation pretty well. 

The  "I listen to CHUM" contest was likely the stations most popular and was copied by many other stations over the years.  Not that CHUM was the first to do this (they may have been) but they executed it better than any other station. People who answered their phone with I listen to CHUM would win $1,000.  And everyone of a certain age remembers the line from the promos...

'When your phone rings, don't say hello...say I listen to CHUM." 

Mike Myers in his book from a few years ago writes about growing up in Toronto and listening to CHUM and CHUM FM, and he made a joke that even today when his phone rings he still says, I listen to CHUM.

Last edited by paterson1 (January 5, 2020 4:09 pm)

January 5, 2020 5:14 pm  #7

paterson1 wrote:

There is an aircheck around of a CFTR announcer  phoning a listener live for a CFTR contest and the listener answering the phone live on air with "I listen to CHUM"... really funny and the jock on TR handled the embarrassing situation pretty well.

That jock was none other than former CHUM announcer Bob McAdorey, who was working for CFTR at the time. When the woman answered with the wrong phrase, Mac told her that was too bad because he was prepared to give her money for answering "Hello."

At which point the woman laughs and says, "You got to admit it's a little funny."

McAdorey's response was classic: "Yeah it's a little funny. Where am I working next week?"

In their early days, CFTR used to do these kind of cold calls live for reasons which completely escape me. This kind of disaster was the result. 

CHUM was smarter - getting the thing on tape. That allowed them to produce classic moments with some extra production - as in this classic moment with Roger Ashby, back when he was still on the AM side.  Although I'm pretty sure this never aired. 

January 5, 2020 5:32 pm  #8

Not sure of the year for this one, but at some point, if you stuck this on your car bumper and listened at the right time, you'd be able to find the location of a gas station where you could get free fuel. 

Below that is both sides of the CFTR Super Ticket, which I assume was used to win prizes, although I have no memory of this contest at all. 

January 5, 2020 5:41 pm  #9

RadioActive wrote:

paterson1 wrote:

That jock was none other than former CHUM announcer Bob McAdorey, who was working for CFTR at the time. When the woman answered with the wrong phrase, Mac told her that was too bad because he was prepared to give her money for answering "Hello."

At which point the woman laughs and says, "You got to admit it's a little funny."

McAdorey's response was classic: "Yeah it's a little funny. Where am I working next week?"

In their early days, CFTR used to do these kind of cold calls live for reasons which completely escape me. This kind of disaster was the result. 

CHUM was smarter - getting the thing on tape. That allowed them to produce classic moments with some extra production - as in this classic moment with Roger Ashby, back when he was still on the AM side.  Although I'm pretty sure this never aired. 

Here's that CFTR aircheck. Surprised they would do the contest live...

http://rockradioscrapbook.ca/cftr-contest-72.mp3

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

January 5, 2020 5:43 pm  #10

Hahaha, haven't heard that clip in years RA! That's why Ashby was so good, never made the listener look bad regardless how challenging they were, and he never gets rattled.  I sort of think this did get to air. I do remember hearing it before and one of the great things about the contest were all the funny calls when the listener didn't answer with the phrase that pays. Some of these were hilarious and as you said, they were spiced up a bit with some production, and CHUM would play these promos on air almost as much as the winning $1,000 calls.

January 5, 2020 6:00 pm  #11

I'm not sure if back in the 70s they would have let a guy say "You ever hear such bull?" on the radio, but maybe. That's why I think this might have been more of an Xmas party tape. But if anyone knows if this ever hit air it would be Doug Thompson.  

January 5, 2020 6:28 pm  #12

Here are a few more instances of what happens when live radio contests go wrong. Poor Keith Elshaw (aka Steve Young) seems to have borne the brunt of these screw-ups. It happened primarily because at the time this took place - 1972 - CFTR had just turned Top 40 and had almost no listeners. So no one really knew who they were yet. 

As mentioned, I still don't get why they did this live - and more importantly, can you imagine anyone giving out someone's name and home address on the radio now? Privacy advocates would go crazy and rightly so.

When Live Contests Go Wrong - CFTR Toronto, 1972